Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Optimizing tires for winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 11:54 AM
Beginning Member
Habu is on a distinguished road
Default Optimizing tires for winter

I've got a new job that has me commuting about 100 miles a day, plus being on-call 1 weekend a month. Snow is not an excuse for missing work (heck, I'm not sure "road closure" is an adequate excuse for missing work). Since it is time for new tires anyhow, I figured I'd ask for some advice on tire selection.

Blazer is a '98 LS, 4 dr/4wd. Stock wheels, factory tire size is 235/75-155 (currently running 225/75-15s, long story there). No suspension mods. Absent any other considerations, I can just go with a decent 235/75-15 snow tire. Could also go with an all-terrain tire I suppose--haven't looked into that.

Since my primary concern is getting through the snow, I'm wondering if I'd be better off going with a narrower/taller tire? Or should I stick with the 235s?

Thanks,
Jim

Old 10-23-2016, 02:51 PM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

I'd look more towards "all season" tires as opposed to "all terrain" tires. All terrain tires are designed more for off road and tend to have deeper treads, more road noise and less fuel efficient while all season tires are for paved roads in varying weather conditions. I used tirerack.com for researching tires last year. My main concern was snow also and I chose general altimax rt in the factory size. I'm very happy with them. Reasonably priced with higher than average mileage rating. Best wet road tires I've ever had. No problems in the snow and I think the tread pattern is cool looking.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:16 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

starting last year i finally went with one set of tires for the summer and one set of tires for the winter. all terrains and snow tires always seem to wear down faster then street tires. so figured i had a extra set of rims laying around why not

Old 10-30-2016, 04:02 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Been riding NOKIAN real "winter" tires for 2 seasons and found them to be quite different from the M+S previously used. Got a second set of rims (aluminium) for my Blazer. NOKIAN utility winter tires are so far the best I had in snow.

For your questions: What I understood - you want a reliable drive in winter on normal paved roads/highways where snow, slush, icy roads is the primary concern to do your 100 miles.

I would strongly suggest a set of winter tires on their own rims to be swapped as soon as there is no more danger of snow. No use on wearing them down when not needed, so they can last two or even three seasons. On own wheels you can have them balanced and pumped to specs ready at your place if you change yourself. (I do this at my place and change them only when the first snow is forecast or I want to go snowboarding.)

Off-Road tires are o.k. in snow but still less than a good winter tire. Off road tires are made more sturdy, less walk, big grooves for loose gravel and stuff. Should do o.k. in winter with enough profile but still no match for a dedicated winter tire.

Winter tires should be much softer then summer tires that is the main reason why they wear much faster in summer. Real winter tires are unmatched on slush and snow. No way you can get even close with summer tires. Tried GoodYear and Pirelli Scorpion M+S also in winter and there is a notabe difference to the NOKIAN I have since 2015.

And put a pair or even better two pairs of chains into your blazer - nothing will ever stop you except for at least 3 feet of wet snow maybe.