Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

First car maintenance questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 11:13 PM
Beginning Member
haliphics is on a distinguished road
Default First car maintenance questions.

So I got my first car the other day, the car being a 1996 GMC Jimmy two door 4.3l v6. I know the basics is checking the oil and probably only changed a cars oil once with a friend. It's well due for a oil change. So it'll be easier to list the questions I have I guess. Also thanks in advance.

1. Should I switch to a synthetic oil?
2. What any better brand of oil filter compared to another?
3. What's the best oil brand to use and should I stay using a 5w30 oil?
4. Should I use any additives after I change my oil?
5. What is Marvels Mystery Oil? My friend talked about it before awhile back.
6. Any other recommended things I should do?

Like I said thank you in advance for helping me out.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:46 PM
10-78 edac is on a distinguished road

5W30 always.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:24 AM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

Congratulations on your new jimmy. Personally, I'm a fan of full synthetic oil. 5w 30 My reasons are that it lasts longer and more importantly I've witnessed less "stuff" on the magnetic oil drain plug.
The only additive I've ever used is a silver can called "engine restore". There are videos on you tube of compression tests before and after. It works well in higher mileage engines.
Marvels Mystery Oil has been around forever and has a large following. Like the hot sauce commercial. "They put that bleep on everything."
The other thing is correct any check engine lights as soon as possible. Most auto part stores will run your codes for free and search them here for the best possible fixes. Welcome to the forum.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:03 AM
Beginning Member
haliphics is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Rusty Nuts
Congratulations on your new jimmy. Personally, I'm a fan of full synthetic oil. 5w 30 My reasons are that it lasts longer and more importantly I've witnessed less "stuff" on the magnetic oil drain plug.
The only additive I've ever used is a silver can called "engine restore". There are videos on you tube of compression tests before and after. It works well in higher mileage engines.
Marvels Mystery Oil has been around forever and has a large following. Like the hot sauce commercial. "They put that bleep on everything."
The other thing is correct any check engine lights as soon as possible. Most auto part stores will run your codes for free and search them here for the best possible fixes. Welcome to the forum.
Thank you . Any kind of oil better than another? My friend said he highly recommends the Fram Ultra Synthetic Oil Filter when he used synthetic oil on his

Old 07-21-2015, 11:48 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the forum!!

1. Should I switch to a synthetic oil?
Full synthetic is generally thought of as best, but is significantly more expensive. Synthetic blends are thought of as high quality but at a lower cost. Even conventional oils must still meet SG oil specs for content and performance. Synthetics can save you a few tenths of a MPG in gas mileage. Full synthetics are know to retain their properties longer than conventional oils, but then again why not just change it and put in fresh clean oil sooner. I suppose full synthetics are really good for people who forget to change their oil. It's really up to you and pretty hard to go wrong with any major brand oil as long as you get 5W30. Lots of opinions here.

WIX 51036 (for 4WD) is known to be one of the best due to better construction and materials. Any filter that is not cheaply made and is not the cheapest one you can find is generally better. I'm sure the Fram filter you mention is probably just fine, as it is a premium filter by a major filter maker. The Wix filters are a bit more difficult to find, as Walmart/Autozone/Advance Auto Parts/O'Reiley's doesnt' sell them - for them you need to go to a real auto parts store. Wix is traditionally a line of filters for heavy duty vehicles and equipment.

3. What's the best oil brand to use and should I stay using a 5w30 oil?
Always use 5W30 in your Blazer. Any major brand of oil meeting SG specifications (on oil label) should be fine.

4. Should I use any additives after I change my oil?
If you need additives not included in the oil, then you have a problem. SG oils should work fine in any roller cam engine.

5. What is Marvels Mystery Oil? My friend talked about it before awhile back.
Old oil additive that cuts varnish and cleans things up a bit. I'm sure it is just "petroleum distillates". I personally would not use it in my engine.

6. Any other recommended things I should do.

With each oil change
  • Inspect belts/hoses/air filter
  • Check fluid levels in transmission, transfer case, power steering and both front/rear differentials. Be sure to use only correct fluids.
  • Lubricate ALL suspension grease points (sadly few ever get greased any more). Yes you will need to buy a grease gun with flexible hose and grease cartridges.
On a newly aquired vehicle I would:
  • Inspect brakes/brake hoses for wear and function (better be safe)
  • Inspect front suspension for wear and function (4WDs are notoriously hard on front end parts - plus no greasing during oil changes hurts a lot)
  • Inspect intake manifold for coolant leaks (Blazers are know to have a problem with this and if coolant leaks into the oil, the engine bearings can be destroyed - big $$$$$$$)
  • Transmission service (helps trans last longer - 4L60Es are VERY expensive $$$$$$$)
  • Replace fuel filter, spark plugs, distributor cap/rotor, spark plug wires (known problem areas for Blazers - use AC Delco parts only - other brands have been shown to be inferior, especially the distributor cap)
  • Drain/completely flush out old coolant/refill with new Dexcool. (Lifetime for Dexcool is 6 years - no one ever seems to change until they have a problem, then they blame Dexcool)
  • Inspect 4WD function in each setting (better to know now, before Winter)
If you are new at working on cars or don't have any tools, you might want to have a shop do the second set. Blazers are not the easiest vehicles to work on and will be very intimidating to a newbie do-it-yourselfer. Alternatively, we can help if you want to do it yourself. Just be prepared to buy the proper tools, listen to the experts on this forum, and do things right!
Good luck!!

Last edited by LesMyer; 07-21-2015 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:02 PM
Beginning Member
esquire is on a distinguished road

WIX 51036 (for 4WD) is known to be one of the best due to better construction and materials. Any filter that is not cheaply made and is not the cheapest one you can find is generally better. I'm sure the Fram filter you mention is probably just fine, as it is a premium filter by a major filter maker. The Wix filters are a bit more difficult to find, as Walmart/Autozone/Advance Auto Parts/O'Reiley's doesnt' sell them - for them you need to go to a real auto parts store. Wix is traditionally a line of filters for heavy duty vehicles [/QUOTE]
First off welcome to the forum. 2nd in response to the above quote o'reillys carries wix filters readily I only use wix filters in addition to being an employee of the company. But napa premium oil filters are also made by wix just rebranded so you can use that as well. I personally only use Mobil 1 full synthetic and in my experience Walmart has it the cheapest for about 23 bucks a gallon which is more than enough for our trucks. Good luck

Old 07-22-2015, 07:36 AM

First off welcome to the forum. 2nd in response to the above quote o'reillys carries wix filters readily I only use wix filters in addition to being an employee of the company.
I stand corrected about O'Reillys. Guess I really didn't know what they sold and unfairly just grouped them in with the other big auto parts chains. We only have one O'reillys in the next town so I seldom go there. I order my oil filters and all parts I can wait a day or two for from Summit. Have found them to be almost always less expensive for exactly the same parts, and if not they have a price guarantee I use fairly often.

Last edited by LesMyer; 07-22-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by esquire
I personally only use Mobil 1 full synthetic and in my experience Walmart has it the cheapest for about 23 bucks a gallon which is more than enough for our trucks. Good luck
Yep, Walmart seems to almost always be the very best deal on oil in my experience as well. Advance Auto and Auto Zone often sells exactly the same oils as Walmart but usually in 4 quart jugs (opposed to 5 quart jugs at Walmart), so you have to watch the jug size and do the math when comparing prices. I think Walmart typically beats the other's prices even with that extra quart of oil.

In the case of Mobil1 full synthetic, everyone appears to sell in 5 quarts jugs. Walmart is $24. Advance Auto is $38. O'reillys is $37. A very good example of a direct comparison!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-5W...5-qt./17034372

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/m...rm=mobil1+5w30

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1188&ppt=C0252

Last edited by LesMyer; 07-22-2015 at 08:19 AM.