Go Back   Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums > Mechanical & Maintenance > Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Blazer Forum!
Welcome to Blazer Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Blazer Forum today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-07-2008, 04:50 PM

daxsteel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default clunking on bumps

[align=left]I have a loud clunking noise only when I go over bumps, coming from my front end driver side . It almost sounds like something is loose. I thought it was the idler arm and changed it, but still the noise persists. One thing which I think it might be is the inner diff axle bearing. The seal is leaking slightly, but not dripping oil, and the axle has a little play it it. I hope its not that because of the amount of labor involved jus to fix it and would like to know for sure. Does anyone have any ideas what could be making this noise? if it is the inner axle bearing? or could be something else?

thanks for the help.

98 blazer
4x4
100,000 miles
[/align]
Old 11-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Starting Member

abadinalbany is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: clunking on bumps

blown shock/strut
Old 11-07-2008, 07:02 PM

2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to 2002XTREME Send a message via Yahoo to 2002XTREME

ball joints!!!!!!!!!!
Custom taillights
Custom Frt turn
signals
Moon/Sun roof
Old 11-07-2008, 07:39 PM

daxsteel is an unknown quantity at this point

[align=left]Thanks for the help, I replaced the shocks 4 months ago. I will check the ball joints tonight and see if they are loose.
[/align]
Old 11-07-2008, 09:52 PM

Dew2008 is an unknown quantity at this point

CHECK THE CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS!!! I had the same issue on my driver side, I replaced shocks, ball joints, tie rod ends and then I looked up and seen the bad bushing. $8 fix and the noise is gone. Just a though man. Hope it helps!
Old 11-08-2008, 04:07 AM
BF Veteran
2000 Chevrolet Blazer

WolfPack is a jewel in the roughWolfPack is a jewel in the roughWolfPack is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to WolfPack

x2 on the balljoints

SOLD - 2011. She will be missed.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:14 AM

portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

One other thing to check is the shock bolts since you mentioned changing them. I get a clunk from a loose shock mount. I need to take it apart and put some locktite because it clunks on some bumps. Go back around on the front shocks and make sure they are tight. If not then it probably is the ball joints.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Administrator
2009 GMC Yukon Denali
My Garage

swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to swartlkk Send a message via AIM to swartlkk

Quote:
ORIGINAL: portcqb

One other thing to check is the shock bolts since you mentioned changing them. I get a clunk from a loose shock mount. I need to take it apart and put some locktite because it clunks on some bumps. Go back around on the front shocks and make sure they are tight. If not then it probably is the ball joints.
I had the same experience after changing out the shocks on my old Bravada. The bushing portions on the replacements were not as wide as the originals which required more tightening of the mounting bolt to squeeze things together.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:56 PM

c0a8l0v6i8n9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to c0a8l0v6i8n9

Torsion bar mounts??
Old 11-09-2008, 10:44 PM

wienerdog is an unknown quantity at this point

How about hood hindge arraching bolts?
TSB # 01-08-63-001

Got an AR? Check out ar15.com
Old 11-09-2008, 10:44 PM

Closed Thread

Tags
1994, 1997, bar, blazer, bumps, chevy, clunk, clunking, clunks, driver, front, gmc, jimmy, rear, s10, side, torsion