2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel Gauge Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Beginning Member
favilac is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel Gauge Problem.

I had problems starting my car cold. Once started I had no issues the rest of the day, and I suspected of a faulty fuel pump. At this point the fuel gauge worked fine.

Last weekend I took a trip and the fuel pump failed at last. I barely got to a small town where a local mechanic confirmed the problem. We were able to get an AC/Delco fuel pump and the problem was solved. I have no more starting issues and completed the trip with no problems at all.

Here's the catch: the fuel gauge is not calibrated. When the mechanic delivered me the truck he told me that the fuel gauge was marking half a tank, but it really only had less than a quarter and that after a filling the tank fuel it would mark correctly. So I filled the tank and the needle went to the "FUEL" letters. I had to take the road again because I was already late. Got to the next town (about 130 miles) and the needle didn't move. Next day I went home (200 more miles) and filled the tank before leaving because I was nervous about much fuel I really had in the tank.

Got home with no issues and this morning going to work I see that needle is indeed moving and now is just a tad right of the Full mark. I'm guessing that I have at least half a tank of gas, and it's marking little more than full.

What can the problem be? The fuel gauge seems to be "working", but is marking wrong. I am 3 hours away from the place where I had the fuel pump replaced so it's almost impossible to get there and get the car checked by this mechanic again.

I'm thinking in disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes and see if the computer/sensor/whatever resets itself. Will it work?

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-10-2011, 02:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like the mechanic bent the float arm on the fuel level sending unit when he installed the pump resulting in the inaccurate level reading.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Beginning Member
favilac is on a distinguished road

Anything I could check, before having to drop the fuel tank?

Old 06-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing just occurred to me... If there were something causing a higher than normal resistance in the fuel level sending unit circuit, it could cause the conditions you are experiencing.

This thread is specific to the 98+, but might provide some help to you:
98+ Fuel Gauge Diagnosis

Old 06-11-2011, 01:14 PM
Beginning Member
terbates is on a distinguished road

I could see someone "bending" the arm of the sending unit if they weren't careful, and would be surprised if its not that other than electrical