2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

No sound from rear speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 03:02 PM
Beginning Member
JZRALNC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No sound from rear speakers

2000 Chevy Blazer 4X4 2-door

I was rear-ended at a stop light in February '09. I didn't notice, until someone was riding in my back seat a couple months after I got my truck back from the body shop, but my rear speakers are not working. For a short period after it came to my attention, I could ride the gain on the stereo (factory model), and the rear speakers would pop back on. That only happened a couple of times, and for the past 4-5 months, I have had no sound whatsoever from the rear speakers.

I have no clue how to get to them, removing panels, etc. Because I was rear-ended I was wondering if it could be some kind of electrical or wiring issue? I talked with the ins. company and body shop. Body shop said all they did was replace the sheet metal and glass... all internal mechanisms and wires are the same as before the accident. The ins. company (which is the company of the person who blasted me from behind) said my truck should be returned to the same working order as it was before the accident. I brought my Blazer back to the body shop to ask about it. Since it wasn't a Chevrolet dealership garage, they said it would have to go to Chevy for a diagnostic before they could do anything. Since then I have not heard a peep from the ins. company or body shop.

Any help or suggestions would be spectacular at this point. I was considering just having a whole new system installed, including a stereo with an ipod port (because my radio tuner attachment has been sounding fuzzy lately). The truck has 126K miles, I don't want to invest more than I have to since it will probably only be on the road for a couple more years - three at most.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:06 AM
lombard is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a pretty common problem with our blazers. The factory speakers are pretty week and blow out regularly. Most likely has nothing to do with the crash.

To get to the rear speakers, the entire interior panel from the back side of the doors to the rear hatch has to come off. Need to remove the upper seat belt bracket and a couple of screws to get each panel off. If you're not comfortable with this, you can buy some affordable speakers and have a shop install them.

Ten to one odds that your problem is just bad speakers.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:26 AM
bman416 is on a distinguished road

My rear speakers don't work either, But i thought the only rear speakers are in the back doors on my blazer. I assumed they were just done with. I'd like to put better speakers in my vehicle anyway after some other issues are taken care of first. I'll have to check the very rear of my vehicle.

Brian

Old 09-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Beginning Member
idrd is on a distinguished road

They are in the back doors. With the exception of a custom aftermarket installation, I have never seen them in the side panels behind the rear seats.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:12 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lombard
...To get to the rear speakers, the entire interior panel from the back side of the doors to the rear hatch has to come off. Need to remove the upper seat belt bracket and a couple of screws to get each panel off. If you're not comfortable with this, you can buy some affordable speakers and have a shop install them...
Got any pictures of that type factory installation? I've never seen it either.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:12 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

i think bman416 and idrd were talking about the 4dr trucks rriddle3. my rear speakers are out too. thought it might be the deck (origional), swapped it out for another factory deck (that had a working CD player!), but they still don't work. these trucks have s**ty sound systems in them (unless you ordered that nice Bose system with the sub under the console).
i've upgraded the front door speakers to JBL GT5-652 6 1/2" (45 RMS, 135 peak) but i can still make 'em fart with ease-gets even worse if you open a door (gonna build enclosures for the front doors). running Pioneer TS-A4670R 4 x 6 in the dash (20 RMS, 120 peak) and these are fine.
kinda off topic, but does anybody know what the factory decks are running a channel?

Old 09-17-2009, 07:45 PM
Beginning Member
idrd is on a distinguished road

You are right, I have a 4 dr. Do not even think about 2dr but I now see he wrote he had a two door. Should still be easy enough, prying plastic and replacing white fasteners I bought a pouch of 40 of them at the local ACE Hardware. Was having problems with the passenger door solenoid. Drove me nuts and almost replaced it until I took a closer look and found out the only thing wrong was the arm that secures into the part that actually moves the rods was always popping out because the rubber boot it secures into was worn on one side. Cleaned it up, little RTV, black, in the right places to secure it, let it dry over night, white lithium grease on all moving parts and its been beautiful since.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:34 PM
lombard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rriddle3
Got any pictures of that type factory installation? I've never seen it either.
As others have noticed, we're talking about 2 door blazers here. In 4 doors, the rear speakers are in the doors.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:56 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

yeah, i know that, that's why i tried to clear that up. but it really doesn't matter (in regards to what the main problem was), but with taking the interior apart, some ppl may need a little, while others can just dive in.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Beginning Member
96blazer4x4LT is on a distinguished road

thinking about replacing my speakers they just are not that good from the factory