2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Eats gas, misfire, runs rough. help

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 09:15 PM
mike6sic6 is on a distinguished road
Default Eats gas, misfire, runs rough. help

i recently got a 97 blazer 4x4. i know there are a lot of 'useful' posts on here but i have literally spent hours searching and i don't think it's helped. this blazer is my only form of transportation and i am pretty short on cash and the longer it takes the more im getting broke cuz of my gas mpg.

Hear are my problems:
*misfires, get code p0300 multi cylinder
*code p0102 MAF low input
*gets maybe 12 mpg (ugh, it's killing me)
*hard to start, kinda have to pump gas
*takes off sluggish and i have to 'feather' the gas pedal
*idles about 600rpm once it gets going
*strong smell of gas when running. seems to be from exhaust

this is what i have done so far:
*replaced plugs, wire, dist cap and rotor
*replaced Ign coil (with a used one, probably not much better if at all)
*cleaned EGR, moves good but kinda gunky still
*clean MAF sensor
*cleaned MAP, pretty gunky- hopeufully get a fee used replacement tomorrow
*new battery
*used seafoam in gas
*oil change and air filter

took it on a test run and it doesn't seemed to have made a difference.

i would really appreciate some help on this. I am taking it on a camping vacation at the end of the month and its gonna cost a lot $ on gas if i cant get this resolved asap. thank you for your help in advance. this is an awesome site and i thank all the people who go out of their way to help people on here

Last edited by mike6sic6; 10-07-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:13 AM
R2P
Starting Member
R2P is on a distinguished road
Old 10-08-2010, 05:54 PM
95LT is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel regulater

It sounds like you have the same issue i had when i first got my Blazer. I had a place look at it and they said that it was the spyder fuel injecter. and quoted me like $500. luckly I have a freind who works on used cars. When he took the manifold off you could see a puddle of gas inside. when he primed the ignition you could see fuel squirt out of this black plastic box. the fuel regulater seemed to be the issue and it only cost $40 and a new gasket for about $10. I hope this helps.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:01 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like FPR or the Spider to me also. If you have a strong fuel smell from the tail pipe take care of this problem sooner instead of later before you also damage the cat.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:42 AM

i will check out the Fuel regulator tomorrow. hopefully it is something i can do by myself without knowing to much about engines. i will let you know tomorrow, hopefully i can find a helpful instructional page to doing this my self

Old 10-09-2010, 05:45 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

The fuel pressure regulator (FPR) is located under the intake manifold cover. Not real bad to get to, but not real easy either. Good thing is that no coolant draining is required. Check-out ebay for prices on replacement FPR and spider injectors; hopefully it is just the FPR...alot cheaper than the spider.

Also double check the EGR gasket and mounting bolts...make sure they are in position and did not slip.

And check vacuum lines.

Good luck.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:07 PM

so.... i just read the how to, and looked into all i would have to do. i don't think i can do this and be able to put it all back together right. i don't want to sound negative, i just don't have much experience aside from changing stuff like alternators and starters.

just to make sure i have the idea right, i need to basically remove everything on top of the actual engine right? ign coil/ throttle body/ air intake/ sensors and a bunch of stuff that i don't even know what is...

really wish i had the money to have a mechanic fix this, im thinkin i made a bad deal

Old 10-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Beginning Member
blazerblack is on a distinguished road

Removing the plenum isn't really that bad. Get Chilton's manual and read through the steps for removal. If memory serves right you just have to remove the throttle cables and their bracket, the ignition coil, and loosen the fuel lines from the plenum. Then you can take off the plenum and get a look at the FPR. Remember to relieve the fuel pressure before you start, and don't tighten the plenum bolts too tight on the way in as you can crack the plenum. I like to use some blue locktite on them. If you take your time you should do just fine, good luck.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:33 AM
b1heqh54 is on a distinguished road

I've attached some documents from the GM Shop Service Manual that I hope are helpful. The subject vehicle is actually a 2000 2DR 4WD, but I believe that it should all apply. If you'd like one of the referenced sections, just let me know, but the bulk of what you need should be here. If you would like pages 7-14 let me know, but the forum rules restrict me from making consecutive posts, and there is a limit of 5 files of restricted size per post.

Attached Files

Last edited by b1heqh54; 10-10-2010 at 06:40 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Default Fixed / Resolved

Finally fixed the problem
It may be $750 later, but i guess i am just relieved it is done.

I took it to the mechanic to get fixed because i didn't feel i had the skills to take apart the the whole intake. apparently i had a leaking Fuel Pressure Regulator, he said there was a pool of gas in the intake, and two of my injector hoses were burnt up. showed it to me and said there had to have been a fire in the intake. the two hoses were all black and burnt up and the injector pieces were melted. said he had never seen anything like it before. i asked a guy at work about it and he was thinking that the leaking FPR could have caught fire if the engine backfired because of the pooled up gas. all in all i am just glad this is over with.

PS.
this was a very well reviewed and trustworthy mechanic.
also didn't have the money to buy the spider ($350) or pay someone to do it ($150) as a 3rd party so i ended up having to aplly for a NAPA auto care credit card even tho i could have saved $250. hope this helps someone else, but i hope no one else has to go through this at all.
thank you all for your help

Quick Reply: Eats gas, misfire, runs rough. help