Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:20 PM
Starting Member
MikeRo is on a distinguished road

Done...More pictures when the sun come up tomorrow

Old 06-21-2011, 09:00 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

mikero......that looks like a solid install to me.
great job, welcome to the club.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:57 AM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Cool .

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
mikero......that looks like a solid install to me.
great job, welcome to the club.
Yeehaw! lol

Old 06-22-2011, 05:35 PM
Starting Member

Here are some photos from today in the daylight.... just need to finish siliconing

Humongous Pain in the *** but it was worth it.... For anyone wanting to do this, set aside quite a bit of time and be very patient. Also a dremel and lots of grinding wheels will help a lot.

Last edited by MikeRo; 06-22-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Beginning Member
NuitariFD is on a distinguished road

lol i was literally talking to my girl about doing this exact mod to my blazer, i was like why not get a tire carrier and mount it to the back, then i'll have two full size spairs on the truck, plus i have this odd rust spot directly in the middle of my hatch ( about where your handle is, mines on the inside) so it would kind cover that spot up.

one question,if i were to do this, would i have to take my rear windshield wiper off, i mean it doesn't work anyway, so it wouldn't hurt to take it off.

And

Including silicone, drill bits, nuts bolts, etc and rack itself, what is the approx cost of this mod and difficulty on 1-10 scale maybe even like a rating off little mechanical knowledge or what not, you know what i mean, not for my self personally, i ust think it would be an interesting way to start out a diy thread, with like a difficulty rating, price, time and approx required mechanical familarity.

Last edited by NuitariFD; 06-28-2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: $$$
Old 06-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Starting Member

No you don't have to remove the wiper. As long as you don't buy a bent rack it should clear the wiper...

In terms of difficulty ...the only hard part is trying to get the nuts into the really tight places. I used a dremel and some grinding wheels to widen the holes. So on the pain in the *** scale i would give it a 6, because with time and patience you can get it done. As far as mechanical know how, there is none. All you do is drill holes and add bolts. Just measure several times. I also started with a much smaller drill bit as a pilot hole.

As far as costs(estimated):
25 for the tire rack
6 for the silicone
10 for all the bolts, nuts, and washers
5 for spray paint

Old 06-28-2011, 06:14 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Also, be glad you have a 95-97 blazer aka flip-down tailgate. Cause the 98+ with the handle to lift the whole thing up has to be trimmed a bit.

But it was definitely harder than I thought. But it is definitely worth it and it looks great!

Be prepared to spend longer than you thought you would have to though and good luck!

Old 06-28-2011, 07:45 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

Took me a good 10 hours to get everything good.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:06 PM
Beginning Member
NuitariFD is on a distinguished road

well i'm definitely looking forward to get some stuff done with the blazer, and my starting off point will either be this mod or a grill guard ( don't know if that is right name, but the thing cop cars have on front) with some off roading light or the extra tire rack so i can have two full sizes ( just because basically). just gotta get some extra money coming in, with the new baby and everything.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:20 AM
jaybird33081 is on a distinguished road

I really want to do this to my blazer. I fear it might be a little past my skill set though. I guess i will have to shop around for the rack and see what i can do. =)

Quick Reply: so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD