Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

'05 Head Unit Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 11:27 PM
nomad45 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default '05 Head Unit Replacement

I'm planning on replacing my stock head unit with my Premier DEH-P630 that i've used in the past.

My local car audio retailer is informing me that i need some sort of bypass modules and/or chime modules to install the aftermarket stereo. These bypasses total about $140 all together, plus the dash kit, etc.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if this type of thing is required. I heard somewhere that the blazer was the last to not have the airbags or abs hooked up to the stock headunit. If anyone can confirm one way or the other (if i'll need bypasses or not), that'd be great.

Thanks

Old 04-24-2005, 03:21 AM
FatRyan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: '05 Head Unit Replacement

if you have the BOSE system, youll hafta get those bypasses to bypass the airbag stuff. it sux.

Old 04-24-2005, 01:18 PM

Its not the bose system, just the regular RDS cd player (no tape player).

Old 04-24-2005, 05:20 PM

well then all you need is an installation kit (~$15) and a wireing harness (~$7). i have the same setup as you, except i have the tape player too. its an easy install

Old 04-24-2005, 06:20 PM

sweet man, thanks for your help, i appreciate it.

Old 04-24-2005, 06:23 PM

no prob

Old 05-22-2005, 04:57 AM
deliriousvisions is an unknown quantity at this point

that bypass has nothign to do with the bose system or whatnot.......and if you open your door and you hear your door chime in the STEREO SPEAKERS then you need that part......otherwise your airbags will not deploy.......

(this is pasted from one of my other posts)

basically how taht works is, almost every GM, 2000+ has shared controls in the factory radio, it controls the airbags, and your door chime...... what they sold you "should" have been a GMRC01...that takes those controls outside the stock radio and into a little box......it has the regular metra 70-2003 harness on it, but the box has a pink wire that hooks into it, thats your digital wire for the airbag and door chime....the box also gives you a switched power source, for turning the unit on and off (red wire) so you dont have to tap into the ignition harness.

Old 05-22-2005, 01:46 PM

ORIGINAL: deliriousvisions

that bypass has nothign to do with the bose system or whatnot.......and if you open your door and you hear your door chime in the STEREO SPEAKERS then you need that part......otherwise your airbags will not deploy.......

(this is pasted from one of my other posts)

basically how taht works is, almost every GM, 2000+ has shared controls in the factory radio, it controls the airbags, and your door chime...... what they sold you "should" have been a GMRC01...that takes those controls outside the stock radio and into a little box......it has the regular metra 70-2003 harness on it, but the box has a pink wire that hooks into it, thats your digital wire for the airbag and door chime....the box also gives you a switched power source, for turning the unit on and off (red wire) so you dont have to tap into the ignition harness.
it is the Bose system that does that. With the bose system, the airbags are run through the HU (i dont know why). and if you dont get that adapter, they will malfunction. i didnt have the bose system (thank god), and i have no problems with my airbags.