Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Car Audio Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 08:58 AM
Starting Member
JShark is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by zerepdivad
I've seen plenty of quality subs blown by morons who don't know what they're doing as well....
ya i owned these jl's for 3 monthes, and someone owned them before me. i beat the **** out of them (first subs) but i never fed them a clipped signal. 2 weeks after i sold them to this kid he called me and was like will you see if my sub is blown? he blamed it on me bridging them at 4 ohms... you know because "your not supposed to bridge anything under 8 ohms"? ya... i hate kids...

oh my jesus MTopper you have a warehouse full of blown subs? i can honestly say iv never blown one.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:36 AM
R2P
Starting Member
R2P is on a distinguished road

I've blown many subs on purpose. Old cheap ones that were dry rotted etc. My 3x12W1's I've had for 3yrs and not once have i smelled them getting hot so I know they're gonna last a lot longer.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:46 PM
01vortec is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MTopper
ok.... i've had blown kicker, alpine, jl, kenwood, and an older RE.
You must have tried alot harder than me, My 2 SR15s have been going for 3 years now, overpowered (300wrms sub running 500wrms to each) and i get them stinking weekly.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:06 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

i have bought/been given blown subs before to repair. if they're beyond repair i just plug them into the socket and watch the mayhem

Old 10-22-2010, 09:02 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

subwoofer + wallsocket = YAY FUN!!

If there's anyone reading this thread who's never done that, they need to go find some old POS and try it. It's a blast! It's an experience that everyone should witness at least once. I had an old 12" woofer from one of those old console radios from back in the day last around 5 minutes on a wall socket, simply unreal the smoke and eventually a few small flames. If i woulda had a video camera back then it would have been recorded when I did the second one which was just as phenomenal a show.

Seriously though, anyone can blow ANY brand or model subwoofer or speaker. All it takes is simply running it outside it's designed parameters.

To wlorton, and as Mtopper stated, there's nothing wrong with JL equipment and they are a very reputable brand backed by years of good reviews, but you could save yourself some money doing some more research and trying some of the brands he suggested. Sundown, RE (not as good as they were before the buyout I'm hearing), Fi, Ascendant Audio, DC Sound labs, Incriminator Audio, Sound Solutions Audio, AudioQue, Digital Designs, Audiopulse (TC Sounds), Image Dynamics, and so many others are all great brands with great reputations for competing as well as daily driving and even a few for SQ. There's more options out there than you could ever imagine, but when you read around at reviews and on forums and websites you start to see the paterns on what is good and what isn't. By all means, if you have the cash to spend, you won't be disappointed in your JL purchases. However, you could very well get more bang for your buck with a little more research and being willing to mix and match.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:37 AM
Starting Member

well when you go off sonic electronix price rather then shops or best buy, it costs less for a couple type r's or W3's. i really wish they carried Ascendant or DC. i saw they tossed in RE not to long ago.

i think topper was talking about his dream was 3 8's through sundown. you got any pictures/videos of those?

Old 10-22-2010, 10:14 AM

Only pic I have so far is this one.

Hopefully I'll be getting started on the enclosure for them this weekend.

I'm hoping they perform as good as they look. It's a lot of fun to open the box in front of someone and they go "Awww, isn't that cute." Until they try to pick it up, then they're like , WTF, and after they have to use both hands to pull it out and see the monster motor on these babies. Pretty much more motor than anything else and they weigh 20lbs a piece.

Last edited by altoncustomtech; 10-22-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:15 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

Hey Alton, did you run both runs of Zero gauge in the Jimmy or was that your van?

And in regards to JShark's comment. I'd love three sundown sa-8s or even a single SSA Icon. we'll see what happens next summer. i just have to upgrade all my electrical.

stock charging doesn't cut it haha.

And to answer any questions (i've had a few) i do not ***** JL to say i have the most expensive equipment. i have a local shop who gives me crazy discounts on everything i buy. So my "$800" dollar sub came down to less than half that, my 1000/1 was given to me for working in my brother's house for a month along with the wiring, a new radio, and all the MLV and Ensolite.

anyways... i'm happy this thread started and everyone stays on a level field... No egos or anything brought into it

Last edited by MTopper; 10-22-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:44 PM

That was in the van, wanted maximum current flow for the Sundown amps. The Jimmy will be done in pretty much the same manner, but it will have all Knu wire. As mentioned before, everything I need to complete the build for the Jimmy (except maybe the small stuff, fasteners, paints, etc.) have been purchased. It pretty much makes me sad when I look in the corner of the bedroom and see the pile of subs, speakers, amps, wire, sound deadener and other associated accessories still sitting there waiting for installation.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by altoncustomtech
That was in the van, wanted maximum current flow for the Sundown amps. The Jimmy will be done in pretty much the same manner, but it will have all Knu wire. As mentioned before, everything I need to complete the build for the Jimmy (except maybe the small stuff, fasteners, paints, etc.) have been purchased. It pretty much makes me sad when I look in the corner of the bedroom and see the pile of subs, speakers, amps, wire, sound deadener and other associated accessories still sitting there waiting for installation.

you are the coolest **** ever... you stick with all the coolest products. haha

Quick Reply: Car Audio Discussion