Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

which speakers to buy....

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 09:38 PM
Beginning Member
nitsudredle is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by altoncustomtech
That Hifonics amp is a classic amp. If you decide to stop using it you definitely shouldn't get rid of it. It was made back in the day when Hifonics equipment was really something nice and the amps were built by ZED which is STILL one of the only companies that truly builds the amps here in america and builds REALLY good equipment.
Vintage huh ? I got it for free lol. So far all I bought was subs and a box. Sounded great in my last car but the blazer speakers can't keep up.
And sorry what baffles? I want to do this right. At least my best.

And its quite possible I'm getting a new job tomorrow more pay and more hours. BIGGER BUDGET!! I'll update tomorrow. I just want better sound now. But patience seems to be the key here. And thanks you for your helpful insight!

Old 06-04-2012, 11:34 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

A baffle is simply the surface a speaker is mounted to. Typically a plastic ring of some sort is used on the factory drivers and is sufficient for low power speaker systems. However when you start to run real power to the speakers there's a whole host of problems that a flimsy baffle can cause. I have pictures attached here of the baffles I built and installed for my Jimmy, along with the deadener that's installed. Everyone who rides in my truck comments on how quiet the ride is and how good the speakers sound and how loud they can play on just the HU. I have an amp for them, but I have to get the amp rack built before I will hook it up.

Patience is always an issue. Getting things NOW is always nice, but when it comes to audio settling for whatever is affordable and available NOW often leaves one wishing they had bought or did something different. It's better to exercise the patience muscle and buy equipment and do the installation that's going to last AND perform the way you want it to. While that often means a person spends more than their original budget they had in mind, it also often saves money in the long run since they only spend it once.

Onto the pics...

Here's the baffles I built and installed.

Here's a few sample of the sound deadening installation, using both CLD tiles and CCF foam. I have MLV to install as well, I'm just waiting for the right time to get it ordered. If you need more information on sound deadening just visit Sound Deadener Showdown. He's got about the best product, great prices and more knowledge on the subject than anyone else I've met.

And the finished product on the doors.

That's my install so far in a nutshell, about 2 years in the making at this point. The components are Bravox CS60K's, the third choice so far replacing PG RSD's and Image Dynamics CTX's. The sub is a 10" SSA XCON and will be utilizing a matching pair of 10" passive radiators (in place of a standard ported enclosure to save space) and the amps are a Sundown Audio SAX-125.2 and an SAZ-1500D.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:20 PM
Beginning Member

That's further than I want to go but the doors look awesome. The baffles look like they would outlast my truck.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:06 AM

Thanks. As I mentioned before I don't like to skimp, especially where it matters and the quality of sound is most important to me. Sound deadening isn't cheap and takes quite a bit of work to install but the results are generally astounding. The baffles don't have to be as beefy as the ones I built either, they just need to be stronger than the cheapo plastic they use from the factory.

Knowing the position you're in I think all you need is a good set of components, to build yourself a set of baffles (don't need to be nearly as beefy or fancy as the ones I built), and when you're ready to get another amp for your subs and put that classic old Hifonics on the new components. I think that just the difference in doing those things will make you quite happy. Then later you could spend a little on sound deadening, maybe a new enclosure for your subs or new ones all together and be even happier with the results all still without spending a fortune on it.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:15 AM
Beginning Member

how do I upload pics ? Its just a box I bought when I got the subs. ATREND-BBOX ZX10D 10" Dual Vented Carbon Fiber Subwoofer Enclosure | Car Audio & Video | MonsterMarketplace.com that's the best I could find. This project will probably never get off the ground I'm installing the third fuel pump in about a month.

Last edited by nitsudredle; 06-08-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:20 AM

easiest way I've found is to make an account at photobucket, then after you upload the picture if you hover your cursor over the picture in the album a dropdown with links shows up. Just click on the IMG link and it will copy the link to your clipboard, then just paste in the message box on the forum.