Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

99 4 door blazer

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 05:01 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

So the new ball joint I installed, snapped going over a set of train tracks. So it's back at the mechanics because I dont have the time to do it, and I need it on the road as the wifes truck is having fueling issues.

Old 08-28-2020, 03:07 PM
BF Veteran
Default Swear words inserted here...

So I'm about done with this crap... found that the ball joints I have been getting, havent been going into the spindle hole enough in order for the balljoint to sit properly, so they have been moving around and slowly egg shaping the hole.

%×*÷^$&£$,$"@(○}¤.......

420$ cnd later, and I have a new set of upper control arms with the bushings and ball joints on the way. Should arrive by next Friday, and are supposed to be the correct ones.

Old 09-02-2020, 06:00 PM
BF Veteran

Well I got them 2 days ahead of schedule so that's 1 upside...

took it straight to the blazer to compare,

to me, that already looks right... so that's upside number 2 lol...

now for the maybe bad news...

the ball joints I was using have somewhat egg shaped the holes at the top of the spindle (drivers side for sure, havent checked passenger yet), so I'm going to do the install and see what/if there is any play when torqued.

if no play, I continue to passenger side and be on my way with happy days again...

if there is play, I still continue on with passenger side, but I need to make a trip to the parts yard lol... wife wont be too happy, i got a long list of parts that have been put off, and I told her it's getting filled if I find them on the next trip lol...

edit: forgot to mention, I now have the chore of figuring out WHICH control arms they shipped me to begin with...

Old 09-02-2020, 06:12 PM
Hadyss is on a distinguished road

I love going to the parts yard but my list has gotten small only need a hood and tire carrier but I’m sure if I find other stuff there I always grab it too. Like the stupid plastic piece that holds the heated seat switch

Old 09-02-2020, 06:27 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Hadyss
...Like the stupid plastic piece that holds the heated seat switch
thank for that!!

I keep forgetting my mom needs one for her passenger seat.

and the wife wants me to find a set of heated seats to swap into the sonoma. So those are on the list too lol...

2- 16" rims for spares(blazer/sonoma)
1- 15" rim for blazer spare
heated seats for sonoma
heating switch for passenger seat
envoy spoiler
trailblazer interior
Set of 4x4 spindles(maybe)
A 4 disc brake master cylinder(sonoma)
window rain guards
tail gate pull down strap

I believe I'm missing a couple of things lol

Old 09-02-2020, 06:33 PM
Hadyss is on a distinguished road

I got my heated seats out of an envoy and got the door panels went back and kept stripping it. By the time I went for the spoiler and back window they had crushed it

Old 09-03-2020, 04:59 PM
BF Veteran

So installed the new control arm on the drivers side. And lone behold, the ball joint fits 1000 times better. Driving down the road, I hear ting ting ting.... brake slowly and it went away, came back as soon as I got back to speed(60km/h), went away with brakes, 3 times I did this before I finally said **** it and pulled over...

Can you guess why i needed a strap?

Or have to bring it to the other side and wrap it around the frame?

Yup.... exhaust broke...

yup... I swear she really ****ing wants me to sell her...........

Old 09-03-2020, 10:17 PM
Mods is on a distinguished road

what happened?

Old 09-04-2020, 09:38 AM
BF Veteran

Just driving down the road, hit a small dip in the road, then it started dragging, guessing the welds broke somehow, it's very clean break, not cut gouges or anything so not worried about foul play...

just gonna sand it down and re-weld it for now. Trying to save money for an exhaust job at some point.

Old 09-05-2020, 05:16 PM
BF Veteran

So after about 100 km, the truck seems to be good. I have a small shake around 85km and up...

but the front end sits ALOT better while driving, and the one time bang while turning is gone, so I'm assuming that was the bjs moving around in the spindles.

so might take a look later on this weekend, might deal with it and drive under that. Work isnt far and theres nice side roads at 70km max(road sign suggestions lol).

Quick Reply: 99 4 door blazer