Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Altoncustomtech's 2001 Jimmy = slow audio build

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 10:34 AM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

Holy crap! That thing looks like it weighs at least 50 pounds.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:55 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

LOL, close! Shipping tag says 45lbs. but to hold it you'd swear it's heavier than that. It's definitely a lot of subwoofer in a little package.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:56 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

Damn, I was 5 pounds off. They must have used a super lightweight aluminum instead of garden variety stuff... lol

Old 03-10-2012, 09:22 PM

LOL, I don't think there's anything on the thing that could ever be considered lightweight. Everything is overbuilt.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:31 PM

Okay, so got a little work done this weekend. After visiting the ER with a 103.8 degree fever Wednesday it took me a few days to recover, missed three days of work, and between cold chills, sweats, naps, and the always fun intake/exhaust gastrointestinal evacuations that always seem to accompany getting that sick I felt good enough to do a little work on the Jimmy Sunday. The problem with getting that sick is that it takes awhile to get back to 100% capacity so after I got the driver's door done yesterday I just didn't have it in me to dig into the passenger door. However, I think I chronicled the drivers door fairly well. Onto the pictures:

The before shot. The door as it was before I began with the PG RSD components installed. The mid mounted in the flimsy factory plastic baffles and the factory grille removed.

The door card removed. I forgot to chronicle the installation of the CCF on the doors, but as you can see here the healthy helping of CCF has things well covered. I didn't put any over the window motor so that it can be changed/removed a bit easier in the future. Also if you notice the wire going to the tweeter I did a quick and dirty install of the PG's and never put any sort of disconnect on the wires which has been a bane of working on this thing without tearing the wires out of the back of the tweeter. That will be addressed and fixed during this stage of installation as well.

The PG mid removed, bye bye crappy, flimsy factory plastic. Now you see it.

Now you don't

Ah, the Bravox CS60K's that will be replacing the PG's. Beautiful set and well built. The tweeter is mounted in the tweeter cup from an Alpine Type R set. Got them from my bro Jared (j-roadtatts) to help the Bravox tweets fit the gaping hole that the PG tweets required even though they're both 1" dome tweets.

If you look closely you can see the dab of hot glue I put on the back of the tweeter to help hold the wires. I've had tweeters like this with wires torn out cuz of how they attach and have almost no support. Doing this just helps ensure they don't do that easily.

PG tweet out, notice how large that freaking hole is. Just crazy!

Bravox tweet is in!

Now, I mentioned earlier I wanted to make it easier to remove the door panels without tearing up tweeter wires. I picked up these simple molex connectors from RadioShack.

Got the male connector on. Also, notice the CCF on the door card itself. I placed it over the location where the opening remains at the window motor and mechanism to continue to help block noises and rattles at that location too.

The female end of the molex connector installed.

Now onto the meat of it. I've applied some CCF speaker gasket tape around the opening of the door for a couple of reasons. One, it's just another way to help decouple the baffle from the door. Two it will help seal it, obviously. Third it gives the baffle a little "wiggle" room by tightening and loosening the bolts around the baffle it allows for just a tad of adjustment.

Got the baffle bolted up. Turned the one bolt around so it wouldn't interfere with the window travel.

Here's the Bravox mid mounted to the baffle. As always I have speaker gasket tape on it too. Damn does it look good in there!

Another quick shot of the door card.

The new tweeter connector all connected up.

Viola! Completed, er, well for this door anyway.

Well, that's that for now. I'm on call at work all this week so I won't be getting much done on the Jimmy with it parked at work. Hopefully the Singer 250A will be in before the end of the week and I can get it and the rest of the goodies that came in last week while I was sick installed while I'm on vacation next week! WOOHOO for kids spring break!!

New XS Power XP950 battery for the rear of the Jimmy and a 34/78 Intimidator for under the hood.

K&N Cold Air Intake for the Jimmy,

The "Piece de resistance" PCMforless performance tuned PCM

Thanx for lookin' guys!

Old 03-16-2012, 06:28 PM

Some more updates. I got the CAI and PCMforless tuned PCM installed today, I'll have pictures of that up tomorrow. The 250A Singer alternator came today and looks fantastic, except for one thing. The charging stud on the rear of the alt is a bit hinky. It looks like a 1/2" brass threaded rod was drilled and center tapped and threaded into/onto the regular stud to make a larger base to attach to. While that's not necessarily a bad idea it wasn't machined particularly well and due to it's size it doesn't leave anything for the ring terminal to tighten against. I put a second nut on it so that there's something to tighten to, but it still didn't seem to be the best thought out process. I've got a few quick pictures before I left work today, the UPS driver showed up late so I didn't get to do much else with it. I'll be installing it, the Intimidator battery and BIG 3 tomorrow. Onto the pics:

Pulling it out of the box.

Isn't that pulley cover beautiful? Very nice looking alternator overall.

You can kind of see the nut at back side there, wish I would have thought to get a better picture. I will for sure tomorrow.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:12 PM

Speaking of updates, here's the pictures from this weekends drive to get things done. I got the PCMforless performance tuned PCM installed this weekend along with the K&N cold air intake and the new Singer 250A alternator along with the Intimidator battery and BIG 3. Things went pretty smooth throughout the installation and the only hiccup I had was that I forgot about a slightly longer belt for the engine with the new alt installed. Quick trip to O'Reilly's yesterday nabbed me a 1 inch longer belt that fits perfectly to finish it and the BIG 3 up today. Onto the pictures.

Here's the stuff, Knu Kolossus 1/0 cable, battery terminals and ring terminals, Singer alt and The Intimidator.

Love Knu's stuff.

The alt is nifty as hell. As you can see in these pics, how the charging stud is done is a little odd to me but it should work just fine. Besides, I'll only be running an SAZ-1500, nothing real crazy.

This is how I saw it out of the box.

Not drilled and tapped in the center.

Working on getting the new battery in I found a little issue as you can see below.

I had to make a quick modification to the battery tray. Luckily removing it was a snap and a quick run at the 10" wheeled bench grinder and it fits great.

More pics of the alternator and BIG 3 installation.

Well, hopefully in the next day or two I'll have the passenger side door baffle and the second half of the Bravox CS60K components installed and the pics of that up. Also, with the week off on vacation I plan on working on the amp rack and sub enclosure in between playing with the kids while they're on spring break. I bought the kids a pair of little four wheelers of their own yesterday so we'll be pretty busy playin' it up this week!!!

Thanx for looking at the build.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:59 AM
Starting Member
Antbankz is on a distinguished road

wow its really coming along,keep up the great work! btw i was planning on cutting out my door panel speaker grill too,any other basic or cheap tool u would recommend ?

Old 03-19-2012, 08:56 AM

THANK YOU!!

Anything that can grind away the plastic should work great. Angle grinder, die grinder, dremel tool, pretty much any such implement of destruction should do the trick.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:02 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

looks amazing alton. love the battery/alt choices

Quick Reply: Altoncustomtech's 2001 Jimmy = slow audio build