Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Automatic to Manual Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 07:31 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light
Default Automatic to Manual Swap

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Yep. That '88 will have the old 700R4 while the '93 was the first year for the 4L60E. The 700R4 is manual control while the 4L60E is electronic. They will not interchange without doing some ECU work so it forgets about the transmission.
not to jack this guys thread Kyle-since everyone seems to think i do-but i was wondering what all would be involved for say swapping from an auto to stick?

do you want me to post a new thread for this question, or will you answer it here? much appreciated either way brother.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, best to do it in a new thread (don't worry, I made it happen).

As far as swapping auto to manual, I am assuming that you are talking about your 98. If so, the easiest thing to do would be to have the PCM reprogrammed with the manual trans programming. A good tuner should be able to do this.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:18 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

first, thanks for just moving my question to a new thread. figured it was gonna go this way, being to far seperated from the OP that i put it under. that, and it probably would've jacked his thread.

i figured it would just need to be flashed with the different trans info. and i can probably guess it should be for that era of truck, since programming can switch (for the most minor stuff) from year to year.

that's the problem with finding old stashes, you can't leave well enough alone.

thanks again for confirming my thoughts Kyle, good job as always!