General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

About to buy a Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 04:40 PM
Starting Member
Gizmo2020 is on a distinguished road
Default About to buy a Blazer

Hey, Im about to sell my 91 ford probe lx and Buy a 2000 blazer, not sure of the submodel yet but it was my friends car and he's a mechanic. I know its got about 140K on it. Anything i should look for in particular before buying?

Old 10-21-2011, 04:48 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

if its 4x4 make sure all that works, put it threw the paces going into 4hi and 4lo.
there should be some "clunking" noise when doing that. just make sure it can transition all those positions.

look for antifreeze around the valve covers, they are known for bad intake gaskets.
that is where mine leaked.
oil look like oil and not a milkshake..that type of thing.

(4x4) if you test drive it and hear a "drone" type sound that increases with speed hubs could be bad.

has he ever changed these things?
fuel pump
hubs (4x4)
oil cooler lines (4x4)

thats all i can think of, based on the issues i have had over the years.
they are good little rigs, mine is at 230k and change on the original engine. basically like anything mechanical, treat them good and they will return the favor.

with your friend being a mechanic i am sure he has done some work on it.
does he have paperwork to back up any big claims?

hope that helps ya out.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:59 PM
Starting Member
Gizmo2020 is on a distinguished road

yea its not a 4x4 I know that much sorry for not stating that earlier. Im sure he took good care of it, oil is still oil. haha. I will check the valve covers when i go tomorrow. anything specific you'd know bout the 2wd?
Thanks man I appreciate the help!

Old 10-23-2011, 06:27 PM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

2wd will have just plain old tapered roller bearings. They should be cleaned up & re-greased every 30K ... sometimes longer with good synthetic grease. Bearing preload is critical for bearing life too. Too much & they'll burn up pretty quickly (and eat up fuel mileage), to loose & the wheel/rotor will have excessive play.

Very simple system - much easier, cheaper, & more durable than the 4x4 hub assembly. Maintenance is key though.