General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Rest of the story on our blazer

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 06:20 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Man, you got a lemon of a Blazer! I know these trucks are a little on the "cheap" side, but at least the 4.3 and 4L60E are usually fairly bulletproof.

Mine just hit 250K yesterday, original engine and transmission. I know the previous owners, they had no idea of "preventative maintenance." I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out they had missed a ton of oil changes. They drove it till something broke, and then took it to the cheapest, crappiest shade tree shop they could find to have it fixed. Some of the "repairs" (and I use the term VERY loosely) I have come across make me wonder how some shops stay in business.

Mine runs great, not knocking, no smoke. Only oil leak is the oil cooler/filter lines, which I just finished today! Gets around 18 mpg mixed highway and city. I've had to do a lot of repairs on it, but it's really just the last 18 years years of neglected maintenance catching up with it. Never anything deeper than the upper plenum.

Sounds like yours was abused pretty bad, or was built at the end of the shift on a Friday! Hate to see anyone give up, but from what you've told us, sounds like it's time to cut your losses!

Old 02-23-2013, 08:51 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road
Smile

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Man, you got a lemon of a Blazer! I know these trucks are a little on the "cheap" side, but at least the 4.3 and 4L60E are usually fairly bulletproof.

Mine just hit 250K yesterday, original engine and transmission. I know the previous owners, they had no idea of "preventative maintenance." I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out they had missed a ton of oil changes. They drove it till something broke, and then took it to the cheapest, crappiest shade tree shop they could find to have it fixed. Some of the "repairs" (and I use the term VERY loosely) I have come across make me wonder how some shops stay in business.

Mine runs great, not knocking, no smoke. Only oil leak is the oil cooler/filter lines, which I just finished today! Gets around 18 mpg mixed highway and city. I've had to do a lot of repairs on it, but it's really just the last 18 years years of neglected maintenance catching up with it. Never anything deeper than the upper plenum.

Sounds like yours was abused pretty bad, or was built at the end of the shift on a Friday! Hate to see anyone give up, but from what you've told us, sounds like it's time to cut your losses!
The PO only had it a few months. Somewhere before him someone did some shady stuff. Yet Carfax called it an above retail vehicle. After emailing Carfax they have agreed to refund the $39 I paid for their report. That tells me they know something wasn't right.
I'm through with it. I'll get my tires & anything I might be able to sell then give it to a Charity for a tax right off. That is the only way I can recoup any money.
I had a guy here showed some interest but when I PMed him the interest seems to no longer be.
Thanks for your understanding & support.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:28 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

Well today the wife & I decided to give this Blazer to a charity for the tax write off. Maybe they can enjoy it. I sure haven't.
I got to drive my Ford truck today & it has already gone farther than the Blazer did without needing to be fixed.