General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Small accident this morning

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 05:18 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

yeah I'm tracking the reason behind the passes (we had the same thing: upper lot required pass, lower lot *gravel pit* was free) but that fact that the cost was supposed to cover maintenance is what bugs me here.

And yes, we are back to no agreement, no real resolution

Last edited by ABN31B; 01-28-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:35 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

I had a little issue with glare ice today.

Right at the end of school we were leaving the school zone to drive home. My friend saw someone he knew and decided to give him the finger. When he went to give the finger he knocked my air freshener off the vent, and it hit my window.

I looked down to see what hit my window, then quickly looked up. I was going at about 20km/h and the car in front of me was still like 15 feet away. Problem was, there was ice from me to the car.

I hit the brakes hard and the anti-locks came on. I've felt and stopped under anti-locks before, and I knew that at the speed I was going I would never be able to stop in time. I remembered from reading it on here that the point of the anti-lock brakes is so that you can steer while your stopping.

I spun the wheel full to the left, and came to a stop sideways, literally about 1 inch behind the car. My door right next to their bumper. I could have tried to slow down and hit the car with my bushguard. No damage would have been done to mine, but certainly to the car.

Could have been a very expensive day at school. But thank goodness for reading about the brakes on the forum here. And damn my friend and his need to give people the finger. No rides home from school for him for a long time.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:15 PM
BF Veteran

nothing like lockin' em up and busting the wheel to lock to get the old blood rushing

Old 01-28-2010, 06:38 PM
The_Beast is on a distinguished road

So you guys what the school parking policy, I'll get one tomorrow just to satisfy your need for justice

Feel free to call them and complain, hehehe

Old 01-28-2010, 06:39 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phil
Honest question though- since it is a public school paid for via tax dollars and the parking lot is also fixed with tax dollars, wouldn't the parking lot be considered public property? Thus a liability of the county?
That part should be easy by example. I'm with the federal government and our property is paid for with tax dollars but we have an absolute right to control entry and activity. It is not considered public property even tough it is open to the public.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:58 PM
BF Veteran

The_Beast: What's the name/number

rriddle3: nice example, but government facilities are different than public schools. Schools are a state entity, not a government one, which is why each has it's own standards and such.

The 'absolute right' to grant access is only so long as the threat level has not set the standards beyond your control. You can not let everyone in absolutely if the level is set to "id card holders, checked at the door, or authorized visitors with escourts ONLY" for example.
You do have the right to refuse access though, or limit it indefinitely, with out increased measures.

A school track, for example, is open to the public durring non-school hours. I couldn't have a pizza party at 2000 hrs at an Immigrations and Customs Office.

I didn't get anything concrete (read as: worth entering) on the "school property = county liability thing" but if Beastiness is able to track down the pollicy, we might just be able to put this one to bed.*

*or argue moot points due to the fexlibility of verbage... one can only hope....

Last edited by ABN31B; 01-28-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:27 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABN31B
...rriddle3: nice example, but government facilities are different than public schools. Schools are a state entity, not a government one, which is why each has it's own standards and such.

The 'absolute right' to grant access is only so long as the threat level has not set the standards beyond your control. You can not let everyone in absolutely if the level is set to "id card holders, checked at the door, or authorized visitors with escourts ONLY" for example.
You do have the right to refuse access though, or limit it indefinitely, with out increased measures.

A school track, for example, is open to the public durring non-school hours. I couldn't have a pizza party at 2000 hrs at an Immigrations and Customs Office...
They are both 'government'. One is state government and one is federal government. Two different entities, but both are still government by law. The school track could be closed to the public after hours if authorized by the state it is in. School districts are controlled by the individual states. But I think we are taking this thread off topic a bit.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:24 PM
BF Veteran

Well I'll consent the "government on different levels" argument to you.

As for the original topic.... we abandoned that by post number 4 or so...
but I'll try to steer her back...um you could probably score a new valance (black/grey platic, not painted) on the cheap right now at a local junk yard.

Done.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:21 AM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

Man this has got my attention. Regardless what that 'policy' says I'm with Curtis.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:52 AM
BF Veteran

Sweet! Bigkhans, I accept your endorsement

I hope something comes out of this whole thing (not this thread, the school situation). Even if it's not a new valance, I hope they at least re-think their parking lot de-icing plan....