General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

swapping engines

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 06:34 PM
Starting Member
jakethesnake is on a distinguished road
Default swapping engines

Sorry guys i didn't know where to post this. Anyways I've gotten a lot of useful information from here and i would like anyone's help. A couple days ago my 93 s10 blazer threw a rod. luckily i already have another engine for it. My question is that I'm considering swapping in a diesel in the future and im wondering what would be the best one and what would i need to do to do so?

Old 08-13-2012, 06:42 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Originally Posted by jakethesnake
Sorry guys i didn't know where to post this. Anyways I've gotten a lot of useful information from here and i would like anyone's help. A couple days ago my 93 s10 blazer threw a rod. luckily i already have another engine for it. My question is that I'm considering swapping in a diesel in the future and im wondering what would be the best one and what would i need to do to do so?
I contemplated a cummins 4bt swap for awhile, but then dropped the idea after I calculated how much it would cost from start to finish. You're looking at 15-17k (yes thousands of dollars) for a complete swap not to mention that the weight of the diesel has to be supported by a solid axle up front. The ifs would crap out on you under the weight of a diesel. But if you're committed and have the time and money to do the swap, I'd definitely try the 4bt over anything else. I highly doubt the common rail 6 would fit and the 6.2 and 6.5t are unreliable in my opinion. But I'd say the only diesels that would fit are the 4bt, 6.2, or 6.5t.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:27 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Honestly I have no idea. What Tibby said is probably a very good opinion & is a stand up person IMO.
Last time I drove a diesel was a friends from work, 2001 Dodge with the Cummings & he upgraded to a Banks turbo, Bully Dog programmer & I honestly forgot/didn't realize I had this behind me & cut a few corners too close & made the boat hop a curb lol.

Gotta love diesel

Name:  blazerbayliner.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  61.3 KB

Old 08-15-2012, 11:57 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

the vw tdi seems to be a pretty good little oil burner. Personally im shopping for 4bts right now so thats also my main pick

Old 08-15-2012, 02:02 PM
Starting Member
jakethesnake is on a distinguished road

Well thanks for the replies so far. But could any of you go through the specifics of what it will take. I only have a basic understanding of cars so any help would be nice

Old 08-15-2012, 03:25 PM
roypai is on a distinguished road

Well if you get at and swap in the engine you've got (assuming you do/participate in the work) it'll give you a little more than a basic understanding of cars and it'll start to give you an idea of what all is involved in changing engines.

I've considered the cummins 4bt myself - but expensive as hell - factory gives around $2500 for a core (one that needs rebuilding) - new they're just nuts - you can buy ALOT of tanks of gas for that kind of money.

Considered the good 'ol VW TDI too - not sure if they'd have enough pick-up and go or not - biggest challenge would be getting it to sit in the engine compartment: Its a FWD and i doubt its got option in the casting for RWD mounting. That said if i ever see one out of a car I'm still going to take a good hard look at it and see if i can think up a way to grab it and hold it where I would want.

Looking beyond the engine you've got transmission and instrumentation to consider too:
'93 auto tranny's are computer controlled and the tachometer uses spark pulses as input for starters. A manual transmission would simplify things and its not impossible to convert to one.

I'm currently planning an engine swap to something 'non-stock' myself and these are just things that've floated through my head so far - bottom line: NOT a simple thing but if you can work out how; GO FOR IT! (swap in that one you've got first tho - I figure I'll be over a year from planning to install)

Old 08-21-2012, 02:08 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Any diesel you gonna do is gonna require one off custom mounts. Rwd or fwd building a engine mount is the same process.

Engine swaps are major doings. If you only have basic skills it might be over your head. You might want to stick to a simple small block chevy swap that you can buy all the parts premade.