General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 10:30 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
I've reworked and fix a LOT of wiring this week while I've had the wife's car to drive to and from work while she's with family in Tennessee, so I've been able to leave the Blazer parked and get some serious work done.

Got this creation together this afternoon. Going to mate it to a bundle of wires that I have hanging down from the hole for the overhead console. I'd like to consider the switch labels temporary lol would like to find some better more "professional" looking labels...

very nice setup... is that where the cds go? Or the garage door remote?

Old 05-12-2018, 09:25 AM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DonL
very nice setup... is that where the cds go? Or the garage door remote?
CD's I suppose is what would normally go in there, I haven't been using it for anything lol so I figured what better place to put all these switches up and out of the way but still a convenient spot to reach them all. Most difficult part is just routing all the wires you need up to there, but I used a couple of bundles that had three or four wires and it to run a lot all at once so that made it a little easier. None of the wires are carrying a significant load so they can be smaller wires, they're all just tripping relays.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:42 PM

Got the console back together and installed with the switches, everything worked right away Made a quick little video of them in action.

Got done with that and went ahead and threw some different wheels and tires on the wife's car, just to see how they'd look. American Racing Torque Thrust 17's wrapped in some Toyos. Gotta get some bolts to put the center caps on... Have had them sitting around for a while, just decided to do something with them finally lol. Wife comes back tomorrow from her trip, haven't told her yet, be interesting to see her reaction :P

Old 05-15-2018, 02:11 PM
canadianbacon is on a distinguished road

Didn't do anything yet, but bought some rust control products: Angle grinder, a couple flap wheels and a cut off wheel.

Already have a Dremel so the small areas are easy to get to, the grinder is or the larger spots.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:43 PM

Installed a cool junk-yard find today after work

A freeking rear view mirror with built in bluetooth for hands-free calling, reverse camera input (need to install a reverse camera now...), and what I'll really use, touch screen GPS navigation! Always hated how my Garmin suction cup would fall off the windshield every other day... No more! Best part is it literally locked onto the factory mirror metal mount thingy on the windshield, I didn't have to pry it off and stick a new one on. Just popped the factory mirror off and this one slid down on and holds on tight with a single set screw. Now the wife wants one...

While I was in the area, I went ahead and installed my old dash camera that I've had sitting in the garage for a little while...

Old 05-18-2018, 10:07 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

About a week after I replaced my cat converter, I noticed another sort of vibration/rumble noise from under the truck every couple days.
After 3 weeks, and many checks, I determined it to be the muffler. Replaced that, the tail pipe, belt, etc., today.
Driving like newly used again. Guess I got used to it slowly bogging down.

Anywho, loving that mirror, blazen. What kind of car did that come out of?
My head unit came with a mic, but a back up cam display would be killer.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by N. Jensen
Anywho, loving that mirror, blazen. What kind of car did that come out of?
My head unit came with a mic, but a back up cam display would be killer.

I pulled it from an Acura something or other, it's definitely aftermarket though, not an OEM mirror. No name brand or model number on it anywhere, but I'm pretty sure I found it online and it's an Azentek Smart Mirror SM-450

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...50-SM-450.html

Old 05-20-2018, 12:59 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Went to a couple U-Pull yards to try to find a swing-away spare tire holder. Found two that had had them removed. D'Oh! I did get the part that mounts on the tailgate. I confirmed that a T-47 Torx head is what is needed to take off the large bolts.

I also confirmed that the 1st gen carriers cannot swap to the 2nd gen ones. There were two, one of each type, a few steps from each other so I was able to check for myself.

I had not been to a U-Pull yard for years. So many different people there. I was the only woman there by herself but there were a couple couples, and one of those couples brought their little dog with them to the yard.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:09 AM
canadianbacon is on a distinguished road

Changed transfer case fluid, made a mess doing it as the fluid didn't want to go in very fast, and basically backflowed into the funnel...

Anyways, this is what came out, kind of smelled like ATF....not a whole lot in there.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:52 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

Most transfer cases these days run on ATF - probably what it is. Definitely was time to change that one, though!

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?