General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 10:19 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

They all get sloppy with age internally, then the rag joint adds even more to the slop. A new steering box and rag or u-joint will restore the vehicle to like new or better. Good time to replace the pitman arm while it's out, since the box has to be removed to change that anyway on these trucks.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:18 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Smitty Smithsonite
They all get sloppy with age internally, then the rag joint adds even more to the slop. A new steering box and rag or u-joint will restore the vehicle to like new or better. Good time to replace the pitman arm while it's out, since the box has to be removed to change that anyway on these trucks.
Thanks. This confirms what I suspected would be the case. I think I'll put replacing the steering gear, pitman arm and rag-joint on the list for the spring when I can drive my other, non-snow season, car. For now I can live with it.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:16 PM
Freewheel is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by christine_208
Backed off the pitman shaft adjustment screw on the steering gear. I was able to recover the lighter feel of the steering able to return itself to neutral on its own again. In an attempt to try to get rid of some free-play in the steering, I had adjusted it so that the screw was backed out 1/4 turn from full in but with that setting it felt like it wouldn't come back the last 30 degrees or so to neutral without some effort. I tried it backed out 1/2 which was better and then 3/4 of a turn and now it feels much better. The actual amount of free play I think I feel in the steering wheel did not change so I suspect that either the steering gear itself is worn or the rag joint is bad.
Booo! I don't like to listen to all these stories about saggy front ends! I have the free play in the steering wheel, but i know why, everythings shot! Pitman and idler playing free! Have to replace it soon... Anyway, i know the feeling when it won't return, try a jeep xj or wj with broken steering damper and you'll see! 🙃

Old 01-05-2019, 08:57 PM
Starting Member
Brian K. Balzer is on a distinguished road

Been there, done that, many times. I replaced the inner and outer tie rod ends, adjusting sleeves, pitman arm, idler arm, rag joint, and power steering gear box my '77 T-Bird, my '78 T-Bird, and my son's '78 T-Bird. I also replaced the inner and outer tie rod ends, adjusting sleeves, pitman arm, and idler arm on my son's first '85 4x4 S10 Blazer. Most recently I replaced the inner and outer tie rod ends, adjusting sleeves, pitman arm, and idler arm on my son's '84 GMC pickup only to find out the upper and lower ball joints were also shot. That tightened it up for the most part but it's still got a little play and I'm betting it's that rag joint. It's on my list. (the never ending list that is)

In other news we picked up another '85 S10 Blazer not too long back since his first one got totaled. It's a 2wd which runs and drives fine but didn't have a title. I located the original owner and I'm trying to get him to work with me on filing for a duplicate title. Hopefully he'll 'get around to it' and help me out. Meanwhile, even more recently we picked up another '85 4x4 S10 Blazer. It had been parked for seven years. The body is in great shape and I figured if we couldn't get it running we'd swap in the 3.1 out of the wrecked 4x4. We towed it home and let it sit for a while until Hell wasn't frozen over and then pulled the gas tank to find it was filled with rust chunks which wasn't too surprising. We then pulled the tank out of the wrecked Blazer, cleaned it out, and put it in the newest one. Since it would then run on starting fluid but not on it's on I pulled the filter at the back of the carb. It was bone dry so I figured the fuel pump was out. I pulled the fuel line at the pump and tank and blew it out to make sure I didn't have a clogged line. Still couldn't get gas from the fuel pump so I changed it next. After that we tried again but no luck. It'd start, rev, and then die. It would run on starting fluid though so I know the problem is in the carb. We pulled the carb today and found the numbers stamped on it. I've got a carb kit and float on order.

While we had it running on starting fluid my son noticed the water pump was leaking so if I can find time we'll pull it while we wait for the carb kit and float. If not, it'll be done after the carb gets put back on.

Neither of them are anything fancy but I'll post a picture or two after we get them cleaned up a bit.

There is no question at this point. I'm definitely Project Poor!
(this was the short list)

Old 01-06-2019, 04:49 PM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

I hear ya, Brian - that's pretty much regular maintenance every 30-50k miles these days (entire front-end rebuild) it seems.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:22 PM
BF Veteran

Confirmed that the rag joint is bad. I can live with it for now until the snow-season is over. I felt clever rigging up a long string tied at both ends to opposite sides of the steering wheel so that I could move the steering wheel remotely while watching the rag joint.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:49 PM
G0LFADD1CT is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christine_208
Confirmed that the rag joint is bad. I can live with it for now until the snow-season is over. I felt clever rigging up a long string tied at both ends to opposite sides of the steering wheel so that I could move the steering wheel remotely while watching the rag joint.
Does your rag joint still have it's cover? Mine broke while taking it off to inspect the joint. I managed to find a brand new one online at a dealership on Arizona.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:42 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by G0LFADD1CT
Does your rag joint still have it's cover? Mine broke while taking it off to inspect the joint. I managed to find a brand new one online at a dealership on Arizona.
Yes, it does. The seam where the two halves were joined underneath was broken but the clip things on the top still worked.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:30 PM
Starting Member
Brian K. Balzer is on a distinguished road
Default 'Regular Maintenance'

Originally Posted by Smitty Smithsonite
I hear ya, Brian - that's pretty much regular maintenance every 30-50k miles these days (entire front-end rebuild) it seems.
Sometimes it feels like Everything on my cars are 'regular maintenance'. Someone once asked me if I was a pretty good mechanic and if I could fix her car. I laughed and said, "I don't know about being a good mechanic or whether or not I could fix your car but I'm getting pretty good at fixing the stuff that I keep having to fix on My cars."

Today my son and I pulled the starter off of 'Old Blue' - now the totaled 'Blue Beast' - so we can put it on the new '85 4x4 S10 - 'The Green Machine' and I hadn't been under one of them in a while so I'd told my son to 'pull the two bolts, drop the starter down, and then pull the two nuts to pull of the wires'. He pulled the two bolts and then said, "Uh, there's No Way I can just 'drop it down' like you're saying." Sure enough, we had to pull that blasted cross member, then pull the bolts on the bottom half of the transmission bellhousing. I was going to have him pull the lines on the oil filter relocation kit so I could drop that torque converter cover out but he managed to shift it enough to finagle the starter nose out enough to get the wires from the wheel well. After that I broke for lunch and then replaced some of the deteriorated vacuum lines on The Green Machine.

Hopefully tomorrow or the next day we'll get the carb rebuilt with a little help from my neighbor. (since I'm not experienced with them)

Old 01-07-2019, 09:57 PM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough

Bolted the side pieces back onto my brush guard that cover the headlights after the headlight projector retrofit. Doesn't seem to effect the beam pattern much at all luckily Even though the beam pattern is already not as flat as it should be lol

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?