General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 09:36 AM
93S10TahoeLT is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by error_401
A new bulb found its way into the socket below the hood. Now it's nighttime breakdown approved again. LOL
I did my interior "dome" light yesterday as well

Old 04-30-2020, 11:22 PM
Mods is on a distinguished road

93TahoeLT

That too much oil, First off - 4WD or 2WD as i believe the different oil pans affects how much you need to add, 5 qt is WAY too much, for my truck with the 4WD Oilpan its about 3.5 quarts or so depending on if you let it drip for a while,

Old 05-01-2020, 06:13 AM
Billy1820 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Mods
93TahoeLT

That too much oil, First off - 4WD or 2WD as i believe the different oil pans affects how much you need to add, 5 qt is WAY too much, for my truck with the 4WD Oilpan its about 3.5 quarts or so depending on if you let it drip for a while,
Totally incorrect. The spec with filter is 4.5 quarts. An additional 1/2 quart won’t bother a damn thing and may be desired depending on how aggressively you drive off road.

Old 05-01-2020, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Billy1820
Totally incorrect. The spec with filter is 4.5 quarts. An additional 1/2 quart won’t bother a damn thing and may be desired depending on how aggressively you drive off road.
While i cant find the listed capacity .4.0 quarts is what i add during an oil change and unless im reading the dipstick wrong its not given me any issues

Old 05-01-2020, 11:34 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

While i cant find the listed capacity .4.0 quarts is what i add during an oil change and unless im reading the dipstick wrong its not given me any issues
Originally Posted by Billy1820
93TahoeLT

From my 1999 Owners manual, the engine oil capacity is approximately 4.5 qts (with a filter change).

Attached Files
Old 05-01-2020, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by christine_208
From my 1999 Owners manual, the engine oil capacity is approximately 4.5 qts (with a filter change).
^^
Theres the ticket, depends on how long you drain it for too and how much is still inside the block, plus oil cooler/remote mount options adding/subtracting to it. if its overfilled the crank will aerate the oil, frothing it and making a nice bunch of airbubbles for the oilpump to suck up.

Old 05-02-2020, 12:17 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

^^
Theres the ticket, depends on how long you drain it for too and how much is still inside the block, plus oil cooler/remote mount options adding/subtracting to it. if its overfilled the crank will aerate the oil, frothing it and making a nice bunch of airbubbles for the oilpump to suck up.
I'll fill mine with 4 qts to 4.2 qts and then run it to look for leaks. Then once it has rested I'll top it off.

Old 05-02-2020, 10:04 AM
Starting Member
Franco is on a distinguished road

93TahoeLT <snip> 4WD or 2WD as i believe the different oil pans affects how much you need to add,

The 2WD was spec'd with the shorter oil filter, which affects the capacity slightly.

Old 05-02-2020, 10:03 PM
kc8oye is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 93S10TahoeLT
Nice. I have a Schumacher SL65 in the glovebox for jumps as well

I did that once a week for about two weeks to help with blowing all the stuff (carbon) out and because I put it through some hard use. Heat, heavy throttle, hours long drives to/from/in NYC and driving fast there too, general "beating it up" a little bit as per ITU (Italian Tune-Up.) This truck was run a couple ? weeks on 5 cylinders so Cylinder #2 needed some love, plus the SeaFoams from the previous engine that have not occured since the new brake booster, and the extensive throttle body cleanings that took place before I found a proper intake piece (the Hat saga.)

They say "carboned up" = higher compression so I also wanted to see if things smoothed out. For what it is worth, they appear to have..

I gassed it up regular gas last few days, I think everything is about as clean and smooth as it is going to get.
this is why I love my 2011 Silverado being flex fuel. .that ethanol does wonders for keeping things clean

Old 05-02-2020, 10:04 PM
kc8oye is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Franco
The 2WD was spec'd with the shorter oil filter, which affects the capacity slightly.
i believe 4x4 also had an oil filter relocation kit that put it up in the fender IIRC... because the front drive shaft made the normal place inaccessible..

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?