General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

ZR2-ed It!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010 | 09:42 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

I guess that answers my earlier question you missed. Spacers for the front are out of the question?

Old 10-11-2010 | 09:56 PM
|
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Ah yea sorry Gary! Spacers are definitely out for the front. If Im loaded down at all the front rubs, despite already having trimmed the back of the fenders. Going up or cutting more is the only change thats happening to the front...definitely not wider!

Old 10-11-2010 | 10:07 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I'm just curious for my own reasons. That ZR2 rear is quite wide but your stance before the swap is already wider than mine with stock rear, 17x9's and 7" backspacing. I can't remember what the backspacing on your rims is. 4"?

Old 10-11-2010 | 10:13 PM
rob44_90 is on a distinguished road

Way to go Wolfpack......... You inspired me to literally spend half my day looking for a zr2 axle with 4.56 gears, and I have yet to find a single one!!! lol

FYI (I'm looking for an axle with 4.56 gears already installed, because I was quoted a minimum of $400 just for labor to swap the rear gears and bearings). So I figure I could buy a used axle with the 4.56 gears and a working locker for that price. If anybody has one..........

Old 10-12-2010 | 10:28 AM
|
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Gary - I have 4.5" of backspacing..good point though I didnt consider the extra wide stance from the rims + wider axle.

So to anyone considering the swap: Remember I have lower backspacing rims so its wider than yours will probably be!

Originally Posted by rob44_90
Way to go Wolfpack......... You inspired me to literally spend half my day looking for a zr2 axle with 4.56 gears, and I have yet to find a single one!!! lol

FYI (I'm looking for an axle with 4.56 gears already installed, because I was quoted a minimum of $400 just for labor to swap the rear gears and bearings). So I figure I could buy a used axle with the 4.56 gears and a working locker for that price. If anybody has one..........
I know a guy selling one with 4.56s and a Detroit Tru-Trac..Ill see how much he wants for it. He's also in Indiana..how far is that from TN?

Edit: Yikes just saw a week old thread that was a guy selling front 4.56s with diff for $50, or without for $30...what a steal

Last edited by WolfPack; 10-12-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-12-2010 | 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by WolfPack
Gary - I have 4.5" of backspacing..good point though I didnt consider the extra wide stance from the rims + wider axle.

So to anyone considering the swap: Remember I have lower backspacing rims so its wider than yours will probably be!

I know a guy selling one with 4.56s and a Detroit Tru-Trac..Ill see how much he wants for it. He's also in Indiana..how far is that from TN?

Edit: Yikes just saw a week old thread that was a guy selling front 4.56s with diff for $50, or without for $30...what a steal

Any links to this info? I'd buy that front one too in a heartbeat, if I knew it was still good. That would be awesome if you could get the price of that for me. Depends on where he is in Indiana. From me to New Albany is about 190 miles. Or I'll pay for it and shipping if he is selling it for a good price. Thanks man

Old 10-12-2010 | 09:45 PM
|
BF Veteran

PM-ed you

Old 10-12-2010 | 11:35 PM

Thanks man, now I have to wait for validation again. Hope he still has it by the time they validate me.

Old 10-13-2010 | 07:20 PM
BF Veteran

Meant to ask this, too. Did you keep your stock driveshaft? Which u-joint did you use? ZR2 and non-ZR2 u-joints are drastically different in size. I was curious if the yoke on the rear diff matched your stock driveshaft u-joint if you used it. Or if you used the ZR2 driveshaft how it matched up to your stock yoke coming from the trans.

Old 10-13-2010 | 09:39 PM
|
BF Veteran

Hrm..the stock 4-door U-Joint fit perfectly with the pinion on the rear diff. Looking at the parts...I only see options for a 2 wheel drive or 4x4 u-joint (which includes the ZR2 package). I can measure the pinions..but im pretty sure theyre the same size between the 7.625 and the 8.6? At least I didnt have any problems. The driveshaft does need to be slightly shorter I suppose, but there is enough slack in the slip yoke at the transfer case (at least on the NP233) to absorb the difference.

So no, no U-joint issues, no driveshaft issues

Quick Reply: ZR2-ed It!