Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

more power

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 09:27 AM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by TFisher
If you have one with a computer, good luck. I had a mechanic tell me that there really isn't much you can do with the cam that won't upset the computer. CompCams only has two cams different from the stock (last time I checked). I would try elsewhere on this motor, or do a 350 / 4L80E swap if you're no into kidding around.

Regards,

Thomas
Then swapping motors he wont pass inspection i thought because of obd2

Old 12-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Banned
TFisher is on a distinguished road

I believe you can if you do the following:
--Take the engine and transmissions out of the donor vehicle and take the computer as well
-This will make sure you don't get a CEL from the computer and you'll have OBD2. So you can pass emissions.
--If you need to get the vehicle inspected, have a mechanic friend do it. And do any and all maintenance yourself.

Regards,

Thomas

Old 12-06-2009, 03:31 PM

But you dont need a V8 to make power. You can do the same things to a V6 that you can to a V8 to make power

Old 12-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Phil is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by PaulO2288
But you dont need a V8 to make power. You can do the same things to a V6 that you can to a V8 to make power
But with a V8 you can make more power.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Phil
But with a V8 you can make more power.
Im not saying your wrong but if thats the case, if someone bought a civic or for any car as a matter of fact thats a 4 cylinder thats like saying they should just drop in a 6 cylinder. You can make good power with V6's honestly expecially the 4.3 as along with a 4 cylinder. Its also like saying that your stock V8 isent makeing enough power so lets drop in a V10. I think a cam, headwork, intake, exhaust will deffinitally make a good amount of power, and possibly supercharger

Old 12-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Phil is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by PaulO2288
Im not saying your wrong but if thats the case, if someone bought a civic or for any car as a matter of fact thats a 4 cylinder thats like saying they should just drop in a 6 cylinder. You can make good power with V6's honestly expecially the 4.3 as along with a 4 cylinder. Its also like saying that your stock V8 isent makeing enough power so lets drop in a V10. I think a cam, headwork, intake, exhaust will deffinitally make a good amount of power, and possibly supercharger
But V8s are more commonly used for racing applications. Hell, I see more 4 bangers being raced than I do V6s. A V6 is kind of the bastard child of engines. Medium power, medium gas mileage. Most cars that are raced with 4 bangers are light as hell, and lets face it, there are now a ton of aftermarket parts for ricers thanks to Fast & The Furious. You can do all of that work on any engine to create more power, absolutely. But you also need to take into consideration the vehicle and the power:weight ratio. A Honda Del Sol or a Miata for example- lightweight so thus not a lot of power needed to make it fast. The New Camaros are pretty heavy but run low 12s stock with their V8s and high 13's with the V6 (from my readings). But IMO the Blazer is borderline underpowered and should've had a V8 option available in the 2nd gens. Why do all of that work on a Blazer's V6, just to be able to hang with say an LS engine swapped Blazer, when 9/10 times the swap is easier? Especially when setting up a Supercharger. Plus then you're topped out for power on that V6- whats left to do? Where as by swapping in a V8 you still have those mods available to improve the amount of power and speed.

I get the point that you were making with the V8 to V10, but wheres the aftermarket for V10 engines? Also, where can you find the engine and everything else needed for a V10 swap for under $1500? You can do a LS engine swap for under $1500. http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conver...de-1500-a.html I'm by no means a V8 fan-boy, I'm just not overly impressed by the 4.3 in terms of speed. But I do realize that it wasn't built for that.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:53 PM

But it just bothers me that everyone feels almost that you need a V8 to make power or do an engine swap. If that was the case then the no one would be running the 4.0 or the Cummins 5.9 and they would be V8's

Old 12-09-2009, 08:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

One problem with the 4.3L v6 is its inherent imbalance. You do not get this with an I4, I6, or V8 configuration.

But when you get right down to it, it is the crappy fuel system and the lack of aftermarket support that makes the 4.3L a pain to hop up.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Banned
TFisher is on a distinguished road

PaulO2288,

I don't want to step on anybody's toes but:

There are some franken-engine things you can do to this engine to get more power, but you are not going to find bolt on horsepower for this engine. Plain and simple, I have been trying for years and everything I have found is not road legal, or doesn't work after '94. I'm sorry, I wish it was different too, but everywhere I turn, I find another brick wall.

Regards,

Thomas