Street N Strip Post your vacation driving stories, day at the track, breakdowns, safety issues, driving techniques, unique driving conditions, etc. STREET RACING STORIES ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

Factory Freak Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 01:53 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future
Default RE: Factory Freak Blazer

yea the 15.8 is more believeable....what else u doing to get that time down?

Old 10-02-2006, 03:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, a MUCH more believable time.

Now, who goes to the strip and only makes one pass? Even on a packed test/tune night at the 1/4mi track, I'll make atleast 3 passes. On our local 1/8mi track, I'll do more like 6-8 passes.

Why race with additional weight (tools, etc)? That just doesn't make any sense. What tree config did they have for you? Did all 3 amber lights come on at once or did they count down to green?

Also, why load up the TC if you are just going to spin out of the hole? That's kind of like shooting yourself in the foot... If you have enough power to spin them, you don't just mat the throttle and hope it sticks...

And you sleeping at the light will not improve your ET... You RT (reaction time) does not impact your ET (elapsed time). So a horribly slow RT of 0.686sec is just how long it took for you to see the green light, release the brake, and stab the gas. A 2.2sec 60' time isn't a completely bad, but I don't think you'll pick up any more than .3 seconds there. So if the truck ran like it was supposed to after 60', then you can expect to make it down to 15.5sec - 1/4, but I wouldn't expect much lower.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:36 PM
EkStreem G is an unknown quantity at this point

Truck looks nice. Except for the front end it kinda looks like the V8 Lt4 Blazer G.M. did in 1995. How much did you lower it?

Old 10-03-2006, 12:34 PM
offroaddude77 is an unknown quantity at this point

why load up the torque convertor??? to preload the suspension. u dont want total load up but 2000 r.p.m. is plenty. also u want to let of the brake and rapidly ease into the throttle. on the 4.3 this seems to help alot. i have the eyebrow out of my intake, so if i just sab it, it will dog all the way but if i launch this way i have lots of vacumn.

o yeah its a 5/4 drop

Old 10-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I do know why you would load up a TC, that wasn't the point of my question. My point was that you are already spinning the tires. Loading the TC will promote that if you can't control the throttle enough to combat it. By loading everything up, if you apply too much power, you'll lose traction - if there is enough power to do so...

Here's a good explaination of automatic launch technique:

In general, automatic transmissions are known as being more useful for lazy commuters than for hardcore racers. But it may be surprising for some to know that many pro drag-racing cars have heavy-duty auto gearboxes. That's because the brake-torque launch is an automatic specialty. This launch involves keeping the car stationary by flooring the brakes with the left foot, while using the right foot to rev up the engine against the torque converter. In technical terms, this preloads the entire drivetrain with the stress of a launch, allowing the engine to rev closer to its power and torque peaks at the starting line. Brake-torquing is also beneficial for turbocharged engines as it allows boost to build up before the launch, reducing turbo lag. The only problem is that there is a lot of stress on the transmission, and the consequent heat build-up can destroy your automatic gearbox. Unless your car has too much power for the tires to handle, a brake-torque launch usually will not spin the wheels. This is because the automatic transmission absorbs the shock by design, and brake-torquing actually reduces stress on the rest of the drivetrain. Instead of a sudden massive load, the drivetrain has the torque applied slower instead of one huge jolt.
So you are preloading the drivetrain, not the suspension. If you are spinning the tires, you need to either increase the tire's contact patch with the ground for more traction, or decrease your pre-launch rpm.

And good luck with the 'eyebrow' out of your intake... Unless you have increased the diameter of the MAF, you aren't gaining anything. I have run with mine out and have noticed a lean condition on the rear cylinders because of the concentration of EGR gasses in the front cylinders. The 'eyebrow' promotes even distribution of the EGR gasses. The only thing that removing the 'eyebrow', as you call it, will do is increase the off idle throttle response. WOT is limited by the associated sizes of other components in the intake path.

*EDIT* - Here's another very good quote for you:
If you're at the track for the first time and if you're trying to simply establish the baseline performance of your vehicle, forget about trying to cut a good light. It's simply too much for most beginners to work on both their reaction time and launch techniques at the same time, so don't be afraid to leave a second or so after the green light comes on. Your reaction time will suck, but the reaction time is not factored into the elapsed time. Only once the car can be launched perfectly each time and every time should one start worrying about cutting good lights (or beating the guy in the other lane, for that matter).

Old 10-04-2006, 12:12 AM
1996BZR is an unknown quantity at this point

wow, i leave for another few days and i miss a heated debate... I don't know what my blazer runs in the quarter and i don't really care. It wasn't meant to be a drag racer. I go more for the rugged, muddin look in SUV's and trucks. 15.8 sounds a lot better than low 14's...and i really thought someone was kiddin with all that 14 sec talk. And try to run more than one pass. take everything out, which includes but is not limited to tools, spare tire, college books. And try to arrive at the track with like a 1/4 tank of gas or less, so you can cut the weight down...good luck

Old 10-09-2006, 09:59 AM
offroaddude77 is an unknown quantity at this point

alright im pretty much giving up on this thing it weighs to d*mn much. it feels soooo strong and then i run it and yeah lol. on a side note its an awsome bracket racer. consistent as a ****. lol
heres the best of saturday

e/t: 15.70
trap speed: 87
60': 2.13

it ran a 15.70 almost evey pass no matter what we did. I also got so many compliments on it. all the track officals where saying it was fast for a 4.3. o well. it was fun goin to the track anyways. and so forth i am finishing my exhaust on it and i am done with it. its an awsome dd.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:42 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough

Hush lil' babies.... hehehe

now now... this is like the animals fighting over territory here.... i'm going to lock this one cause i can see this turning slightly ugly. If you think I am wrong, please just PM me.

~Dory