Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Tire decision

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Starting Member
95BlackGA is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want to shell out the money, I'd also suggest the BFG ATs. I have a set of 33's on my '79 K10. Even with the tread depth and 1/4th what they were original, I still have no problem getting in or out of mud, snow and they ride very well on the pavement. After 10 years on my truck (not driven much, and it sat for 3) they finally need replaced due to dry rot. Even had part of the tread rip off the tire at 70mph, and it still drove at 55mph for over 15 miles.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:45 PM
Beginning Member
owneroperator is on a distinguished road

Stick with the Goodyears. I bought my 2000 LT in 2002 at 55,000 miles with those tires on it. Since it was used, I can't say with all certainty that those tires were the originals, but I do know that because of the service ID code in the glove box (Z85) the vehicle was shipped with that particular tire. I replaced them at 70,000 miles with the same exact tire and now have 125,000 miles on it. I would probably be able to get a total of 60,000 miles out of them if I really wanted to. So was the previous set original with 70,000 miles? I didn't think so at the time but the longer I have my current set, the more I believe it was possible. I haven't 4-wheeled with them, but they've worked great in the rain. Also, they're quiet and wear evenly (rotated every 4000 miles). Another poster mentioned something about LT-rated vs. P-rated. In my experience, an LT-rated tire will have more tread and a more square shoulder than the same P-rated tire. Aren't the non Goodyears you're considering from China? That alone is enough to make me run to the Goodyears!

Old 03-19-2013, 04:34 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by owneroperator
I haven't 4-wheeled with them, but they've worked great in the rain. Also, they're quiet and wear evenly (rotated every 4000 miles). Another poster mentioned something about LT-rated vs. P-rated. In my experience, an LT-rated tire will have more tread and a more square shoulder than the same P-rated tire. Aren't the non Goodyears you're considering from China? That alone is enough to make me run to the Goodyears!
yeah, im going to go with the Hankooks, even though they are from Korea. and i know what you are saying about the LT and P tires. i am going with P rated because i dont see spending the extra money on the LT tires when im not going to be utilizing them. i rarely tow anything and mostly its just me and the lady in it anyways. and the tires from Hankook are built the same from LT to P rated. its just that the layers in the sidewall are thinner than the LT tires but still the same number of layers. if that makes sense. im going to give them a shot and see whats what. last time i bought goodyears, i totaled my truck 8 days later. i know it wasnt the tires fault.... but yeah. just one of those things i guess.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:24 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Of the two you're considering I'd go with the Hankooks. My uncle is a tire wholesaler in Utah, and his number one tire is Cooper, followed very closely by Hankook. The Hankook AT-10 was my #2 choice for my Durango after the Cooper Zeon LTZ. My uncle said that of the thousands of Hankook tires he sells each year he only sees maybe a dozen come back for warranty issues, and most of those could probably be attributed to user error. He has those exact tires on his Dodge Ram and loves them.

The Goodyears are supposed to be a great tire, and I've never personally run the Goodyears but I don't like the tread as much. For me the Hankooks look the part for what I would want on my Blazer.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:53 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Twip
what makes you like the Hankooks? ever had a set? i see that you have BFGs right now, which i was thinking about getting, but i heard that they arent allll that fantastic in the snow... what do you think?
Sorry, just noticed your question.

My KM2s are excellent in deep snow, not so good on a plowed road. Great all around tire.

I had a set of Hankook 31x10.5x15 on my Jeep when I bought it. I was happy with them for gravel and light snow. In mud they weren't all that great. They lasted a long time too, they were on the Jeep for a couple years of abuse, then I upgraded and the guy I gave them to used them for several years.

I thought the Hankooks looked better for all around traction than the G/Ys too.

Last edited by Diaita; 03-19-2013 at 06:56 PM. Reason: getting thoughts straight
Old 03-19-2013, 11:13 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
Of the two you're considering I'd go with the Hankooks. ...and his number one tire is Cooper, followed very closely by Hankook.

The Goodyears are supposed to be a great tire, and I've never personally run the Goodyears but I don't like the tread as much. For me the Hankooks look the part for what I would want on my Blazer.
the tread thing is right where i am at. i just noticed that someone around the corner from me has the ones that i want and i think that i am going to go and talk to him about them. although his driver side front was cupped which i could see from my car as i drove by....thinking that he should have rotated them a little more often than he did. anyway, i feel the same as you did. they just look like i would like them better.

Originally Posted by Diaita
Sorry, just noticed your question.

They lasted a long time too, they were on the Jeep for a couple years of abuse, then I upgraded and the guy I gave them to used them for several years.

I thought the Hankooks looked better for all around traction than the G/Ys too.
right on. that was the other thing that i was worried about was longevity. i think that when i get them i should be happy with them. but only time will tell.

thanks for responses guys. the input makes me feel better about my choice. now if only my tire guy can get them so i get them on. i have some trips coming up and i would really like to have some new rubber and fresh alignment before then.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:00 PM
Beginning Member
owneroperator is on a distinguished road

I used to run Cooper Discoverer Radial LT's on my '88 S-10 Blazer (which is when I was educated on the LT vs. P rating differences). Not the longest running tire, I admit, but for the money you couldn't go wrong. Again, quiet, even wearing and very good traction. And I understand what someone mentioned about the tire giving them the look they wanted. They gave my Blazer a very capable look. I wish Cooper hadn't discontinued them.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:51 AM
Beginning Member
millenniumfalcon is on a distinguished road
Default Go for the Hankooks

You won't be sorry. I'm new to this forum, but did extensive research on them when I had my 02 Trailblazer. Ended up installing a set of 255/70-17 ATM RF10s and would (and will) buy them again. Good look, great traction, very quiet compared to the stock Rugged Trails that were on it when I bought it. I can't say that I've ever had any of the other tires in question, but another consideration depending on the price you can find is Yokohama. I have AT/S Yoko's on my K2500, and have used them before on a Baja. Not quite the traction of the Hankook, but overall a better street tire. If you are mostly on-road, they would be a respectable choice also.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:55 AM
Beginning Member
millenniumfalcon is on a distinguished road
Default Doh!

Juuuuuuuust realized my first post was towards a dead thread... but there's a friggin' lightsaber smilie available! Discovering that was worth it.