Sights N Sounds Post Pictures, Videos, and Sound clips here. Examples: Member signature threads, photo shoots, videos (that do not fit in other sections), etc.

Why Wrap When You Can Paint!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 10:21 PM
Bass_Surfer is on a distinguished road
Talking Why Wrap When You Can Paint!

Here's the way I got this '86 K5 in 1997 - no rust
though - so that's good.

This is wearing the factory original tri-colored K5
235/75R15s on it and those are Chevy Rally
stock wheels - which I still have.
Sadly it had a trashed transmission and a busted
400 engine in it. I got rid of that stuff pretty fast.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is the second color that I shot it - but I didn't use enough hardener and it turned somewhat chalky - I lived with it until I fell in love with Case Tractor Orange....
.... and NO! That's not surface rust on it - it's a product of having this pix stored in the cloud and it got to looking bad.
I do have some serious tire-slinging-dirt-under the rocker problems though.

Those are 33x12.50R15s on it there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Notice the hood ---> I didn't have time to prime it correctly and after living in Montana salted-snows and ice, you could see sunshine through the hood. This engine is a stroker 350 out to 383 - and frankly - it ain't worth it I feel.
This pix was when the paint was 6 years old... and it had been keyed in WalMart, Hemet, SoCal.

I put a snowplow set of springs in the front and added stock dual shocks to all 4 corners.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A little blackout on the grill.... added LEDs in the side markers and tail lights.
The tires here are 265/75R16s here

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you look ---> you can see the texture on the body.
Those are 2001 Chevy 4WD pickup rims..... I use this K5 as a work vehicle and although I'm retired, I still get into some interesting
recovery/winching work and logging for my wood stove.
I tow over 10K lbs on my wood hauling trailer - most times in 4-Low and sometimes it takes all I got to get back outta the deep woods.

Oh yeah - I put straight cut gears in my transfer case. Noisy but powerful and a whole lot easier on the thrust bearings and the case too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

FUN FACT: You can use a new paint roller to apply this paint with the bed liner mixture. I did.
It flows out pretty good if you keep it from getting too hot for the first 24 hours or so, but I think the bumpy texture's great!

Oh yeah ..... it's orange.

Old 05-19-2020, 09:00 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

I've always liked the color orange. I had an orange and white '74 K5 for years, and I also had an orange Dodge Dakota, not to mention a bunch of KTM motorcycles, lol.

Old 01-19-2024, 02:38 AM
Kairos87 is on a distinguished road

That's a real nice looking ride you got there.
Enjoy it in good health