Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

First post: building a system from scratch

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 06:46 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MTopper
I do agree with your truck.. I just base my comments off of the SQ aspect because thats the kind of installs i do for family and myself. For friends i do SPL setups of huge woofers, large amps, multiple batterys and what not. i don't doubt your truck sounds good but from my experience i've found that it sounds much better with your speakers are in front of you(unless you are going to time align your speakers which most radios don't do and i doubt anyone has an external TA hooked into their systems)

1If i did have a rear hatch that opened up, not the half and half of the 2 doors, i would put speakers in the tailgate in a heartbeat but on a switch so that they only play when i want them to.

2Not trying to pull the "my truck is better than your truck"... just saying that based off of experience and what i have learned/heard over the last 6 years, speakers in front of you sounds better.
1. Why not buy/make 2 speaker enclosures and put them on a hinge/velcro. that way point them in front for the back seaters and back for the outdoor sound.

2. Higher frequency sounds are VERY directional! thats why you usually hear the bass coming from a vehicle rather than the highs.

For bass, as long as your in earshot, you're hearing it!

Old 03-04-2010, 06:55 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

Zedartwo, i'm right there with you about directional for the speakers but with my tailgate, i open up a lot and sit on it when i'm hanging out with people which is why i wont put speakers on it.

Great idea though. Just not for me. between my big a** and the stuff i put in my trunk for work would just rape the speakers back there which is why i have my sub vertically mounted, its not the best acoustically but it does keep the sub safe from crap.

Now that we've successfully hijacked the thread i feel accomplished haha

Old 03-05-2010, 08:49 AM
Beginning Member
trapperjohn4077 is on a distinguished road

No hijack at all, I wanted to discuss exactly what we have been.

As for my intentions, I just traded my college car in for a late model 'family car' for my wife. I had a pretty kicking stereo in it, and now that the blazer is my winter vehicle I wanted to upgrade the factory stuff, especially the deck.

I had some Polk audio 6.5 and Pioneer 6x8s in my last car, and with the Pioneer deck it gave me all I wanted.

I love my Blazer, and part of the deal was if I traded my car in I could improve the Blazer Stereo.

No subs, no EQs, no LEDs, just something to blast the Ramones on the way to work.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:42 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

Good choice on the music.. The college car thing makes me laugh because the blazer is my college car and will sit in my driveway even after i buy a new car. I love these things for how easy they are to work on and how versatile they are.

For your audio setups, don't worry about the hole you poked into the surround right now because my bet is that it still sounds better than stock.. I'm ocd about broken stuff and little noises so i'd have it replaced immediately even if it emptied out my savings account, me for it'd be worth it