Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

installing component speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 04:21 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future
Default RE: installing component speakers

thanks for all the input people. im going to take in mind everything you guys told me.

Old 03-03-2006, 03:44 AM
FatRyan is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: HCCAFan

It's hard to say which theory is correct but I have a different take on both sides of the argument. I would say the A pillar is a bad idea b/c higher frequencies travel faster than the lower ones and therefore a tweeter aimed directly at your head, that close, would hit you with it's sound way before the mids in the doors or the sub(s) in the back. Now yes it is milliseconds or whatever and no most of us couldn't hear it but...its like heardoom...you know it's there. The dash idea requires no modification if he already has the plates for it and that alone is enough reason to do it that way. At least it was for me.
well in reality, your probably not gonna notice any difference anyways unless you got pretty keen ears, so why not try to save money. whatevers cheaper, do that

Old 03-03-2006, 03:54 AM

dup post

Old 03-03-2006, 03:56 AM

ORIGINAL: audiophyl

It's hard to say which theory is correct but I have a different take on both sides of the argument. I would say the A pillar is a bad idea b/c higher frequencies travel faster than the lower ones and therefore a tweeter aimed directly at your head, that close, would hit you with it's sound way before the mids in the doors or the sub(s) in the back. Now yes it is milliseconds or whatever and no most of us couldn't hear it but...its like heardoom...you know it's there. The dash idea requires no modification if he already has the plates for it and that alone is enough reason to do it that way. At least it was for me.
As you stated, since the higher frequencies travel faster than lower ones that is why it's recommended to fire the tweeters along the windshield. By the way, which direction do the factory plates fire the tweeter. They fire the tweeter along the plane of the windshield. This is one of the first times that OEM, especially Chevy, has gotten something right

Additionally, I would recommend going to a sound off and listening to some of the cars. I can give you a list of vehicles to listen to if you want.

Have fun!
well if your seriously going to take milliseconds into account, then you need to take millimeters into account too. if you say the a pillars are too close, well then maybe the dash is too far of a distance. or maybe if your considering the mids boucing off the other door, the console, or being mostly absorbed into your pants, then how are you going to compensate for that? compensating for milliseconds in time is such a joke, cause there are SOOOO many continually variable factors in the sound/frequencies. this is why i think time alignment on head units is such a waste of money and a total marketing ploy. i can and have put my head in the dead center of my 2 front comps and hear absolutely no differce in the time the frequencies reach my ears. if someone could seriously tell a difference in something like time alignment, then they need to go to school for physics cause theyll end up being another einstein

Old 03-03-2006, 03:35 PM
HCCAFan is an unknown quantity at this point

All the THX setups I have ever seen ask how far away each speaker is from your listening position...there must be something to it.

Old 03-03-2006, 04:53 PM

All the THX setups I have ever seen ask how far away each speaker is from your listening position...there must be something to it.
if your talking about pro, then maybe i could see people going through all that trouble to measure distances and times. but thats only because your not going to have any distractions/hindrances in the frequecies reaching your ears. in any other application, you got tons of continuous variables...the position of your legs, the material your clothes are made of, any object that isnt part of the "car/system", road/engine noise RPM dependant or not, the position your head is at at the given time, etc...the list just goes on. so if your going to cmopete, then do whatever you think will have even the slightest improvement. but as soon as you take that car out on the road, everything changes. i just think its completely retarded.