General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 09:30 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DonL
Just nuts on the outside?
Well, I'll only admit to the "loose nut behind the steering wheel."

Old 11-12-2017, 11:53 AM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

After dealing with a service engine light (P0452 code) for the last 3 years after replacing the fuel pump, I think I finally got it fixed!

I've tried swapping the tank pressure sensor 3 times with no results. Finally I decided to actually probe the 3 wires on the plug. Ground was good, sensor to computer was good, but no 5v reference. So I knew I had a wiring issue... So I starter unwrapping the loom starting at the plug, didn't get but an inch in and found the 5v wire was VERY soft, like the wire inside was actually broken and the only thing it was hanging on by was the wire covering. After I unpinned it from the plug and gave it a tug (a very LIGHT tug mind you), my suspensions were confirmed... The wire just broke right off...

Luckily I just so happened to have an extra plug harness. It's nice working in a salvage yard

So a snip and splice later and everything buttoned back up, cleared the light and so far it has yet to throw the code again!

I'm guessing that way back before I ever got the Blazer, whoever changed the fuel pump at one time dropped the tank without unplugging the harness first and it stretched the wires. Then when I changed the fuel pump again, wiggling the wires around was enough to do it in for good and completely loose connection. The other two wires seemed fine, odd that just the one was damaged...

Last edited by blazen_red_4x4; 11-12-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:42 PM
GreenBlazer2002 is on a distinguished road

Discovered yet another coolant leak from the water pump. This will be the 3rd pump failure in 6 months. Even though the unit has a lifetime warranty, I'm sick of doing the job repeatedly. Don't buy the duralast water pump. They suck.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:41 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by GreenBlazer2002
Discovered yet another coolant leak from the water pump. This will be the 3rd pump failure in 6 months. Even though the unit has a lifetime warranty, I'm sick of doing the job repeatedly. Don't buy the duralast water pump. They suck.
Sorry about the water pump but thanks for the 'heads-up' on the Durlast ones.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:31 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

I work on cars for a living - years ago I completely stopped buying parts from Advance Auto, AutoZone or O'Reilly's. Parts are just plain awful. Isn't worth the money saved on cheap parts!

These days I buy everything at NAPA, but they aren't immune either - nobody is today. Even GM direct! Everything is made in china or Mexico at the lowest possible cost.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Smitty Smithsonite
I work on cars for a living - years ago I completely stopped buying parts from Advance Auto, AutoZone or O'Reilly's. Parts are just plain awful. Isn't worth the money saved on cheap parts!

These days I buy everything at NAPA, but they aren't immune either - nobody is today. Even GM direct! Everything is made in china or Mexico at the lowest possible cost.
And by the time you add up the cost of all the coolant I've lost (vast oceans) I could have bought the very best part several times over.😠

Old 11-14-2017, 04:31 PM
BF Veteran

What has been the failure mechanisms? The shaft bushing seals?

Old 11-14-2017, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by christine_208
What has been the failure mechanisms? The shaft bushing seals?
Every time. And it's not like I'm subjecting it to high rpms. I drive the speed limit (mostly) 😁. These are just poor quality parts. If this next one fails I shall declare myself done with all non-ac delco parts, without exception.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:37 PM

I owe everyone an apology.
I had mistakenly thought my bad water pumps were Duralast.
They were indeed Carquest, which is the "best"💩 available at Advance Auto Parts. I have taken the risk of installing pump number three within the last six months. If this one fails, I will shoot a video at their store and post it worldwide.
Again, sorry about dissing Duralast without due cause.
You know what they say- third times the charm.
Whatever that means. 🤞

Old 11-15-2017, 04:41 PM
BF Veteran

I owe everyone an apology.
I had mistakenly thought my bad water pumps were Duralast.
They were indeed Carquest, which is the "best"💩 available at Advance Auto Parts. I have taken the risk of installing pump number three within the last six months. If this one fails, I will shoot a video at their store and post it worldwide.
Again, sorry about dissing Duralast without due cause.
You know what they say- third times the charm.
Whatever that means. 🤞
Thanks for the update/clarification. It is good information to have!

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?