General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 04:04 PM
Starting Member
bravo99 is on a distinguished road

well I succeeded at completely overreacting to the whole fuel sender unit BS. truck wouldn't start this morning after fuel gauge had been dead for a day and a half. Towed from my work to a shop Insurance tow bill. $109 later tomorrow as long as the truck still starts is what I get to pay for knowing that I ran out of gas. oh yeah and thirty bucks for another tank of gas. looks like it's back to the two hundo trip odometer method.

Old 03-16-2020, 04:22 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bravo99
well I succeeded at completely overreacting to the whole fuel sender unit BS. truck wouldn't start this morning after fuel gauge had been dead for a day and a half. Towed from my work to a shop Insurance tow bill. $109 later tomorrow as long as the truck still starts is what I get to pay for knowing that I ran out of gas. oh yeah and thirty bucks for another tank of gas. looks like it's back to the two hundo trip odometer method.
I did a heater core job, when all I needed to do was check the fluid... I feel your pain. Thankfully the job was all parts I had, but tearing two dash's apart was not a fun weekend... atleast it was nice...

Old 03-21-2020, 07:58 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Used the 'ol girl to take the wheelers out. She pulls a trailer with 2 ATVs on it great! The wife and I had an awesome time riding the trails, first time we've had actually taken them out since I got them

Old 03-21-2020, 11:41 PM
Hess13x is on a distinguished road

I added trans fluid and antifreeze today before we went and beat on the Jimmy tonight lol. I really need to get it in the shop and find where I'm loosing antifreeze from because it's getting worse. It also still needs tie rod ends, all 4 are shot, and another idler arm.

Old 03-22-2020, 01:09 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Hess13x
I added trans fluid and antifreeze today before we went and beat on the Jimmy tonight lol. I really need to get it in the shop and find where I'm loosing antifreeze from because it's getting worse. It also still needs tie rod ends, all 4 are shot, and another idler arm.
As for the coolant, there of course is the scary LIM gasket leak into the lifter valley but I've heard of leaks that only happen under pressure from pin holes. You might want to get a pump you can put in place of the radiator cap to pressurize your coolant system with it cool.

Are you going through idler arms? There are heavy duty options.

Old 03-22-2020, 01:47 PM
BF Veteran

Dropped the truck off at the body shop for repairs to the rear bumper that will be paid for by the insurance company of the other driver.

Tinkered with my hard-wiring of a DRL and Auto-Headlamp circuit. I purchased a spare headlamp switch and installed a fog-light switch from a Pontiac to be the over-ride switch. I also added a small bulb to illuminate the dimmer dial part of the switch.

Getting close to installing it. When I do, it'll require cutting 4 wires that go to the BCM and installing plugs on them. I've set it up that I can always return the system to stock.

modified switch.

new bulb above the dimmer wheel

the backside of the switch with new connections to the existing fog light switch.

Old 03-22-2020, 01:50 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Nice work! That looks totally factory.

Old 03-22-2020, 02:53 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Tom A
Yeah, that was my goal; to make it look factory and make it compatible with the existing electrical system as much as possible. When I get it installed, I'll do a proper write-up.

Last edited by christine_208; 03-22-2020 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:03 PM
Hess13x is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by christine_208
As for the coolant, there of course is the scary LIM gasket leak into the lifter valley but I've heard of leaks that only happen under pressure from pin holes. You might want to get a pump you can put in place of the radiator cap to pressurize your coolant system with it cool.

Are you going through idler arms? There are heavy duty options.
Ifs and 35" tires don't play well with each other lol. Just trying to make it survive until I solid axle it. I don't have any coolant in my oil so I don't think it's the intake gasket. It's coming from the passenger side so could be a few different things. I do know I have a pin hole in my rad though. I need to take a closer look at it. Before I do though I need to wash all the mud off it first. Spring time wheeling around here is my favorite time. Lol

Old 03-22-2020, 10:33 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Tom A
Here is a picture with the lights on.

Leads to BCM that control DRL and Auto Headlamp control open (in manual mode) Note yellow indicator light on on the black push-button switch. The green light in the relays indicates that they have been turned onto open the circuits.

Leads to BCM that control DRL and Auto Headlamp control closed (default mode)

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?