General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2022, 02:12 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tom A
I replaced my damaged door. I was lucky enough to find one in a junkyard that was the right color, and matches pretty closely.

I went from this:

To this:

Almost like it never happened, lol.
Tom,

So as a serious mudder/four-by-fourer, what would you say makes a highly modified Blazer like yours a good rig for playing with it the way you? How does it compare to the vehicles others use like Jeeps?

Old 11-11-2022, 10:03 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by christine_208
Tom,

So as a serious mudder/four-by-fourer, what would you say makes a highly modified Blazer like yours a good rig for playing with it the way you? How does it compare to the vehicles others use like Jeeps?
Great question! To be honest, I mostly chose the Blazer for reasons other than its capabilities. I already had most of the drivetrain parts in my K5, which had seen much better days. I figured having wider axles on a narrower body might help to keep sheet metal off the rocks (which it sorta does) and it had all the luxuries the K5 was lacking (like air conditioning, windows, doors, a roof, etc.). Also, I owned a Jeep in the past. I loved it, but it just didn't have enough room for all the camping gear and stuff I like to bring with me. So I really wanted something with more seats, and a 4-door Rubicon or something like that was WAY out of my budget. When I built it, I didn't necessarily plan on it being a hardcore rock crawler. I was just planning on sticking to more moderate trails and not beating it up like the big Blazer. You've seen how that worked out, lol.

Since almost all my friends drive Jeeps (some of them VERY well built), I get a lot of chances to compare their performance. My Blazer definitely holds its own with the Jeeps, and sometimes will do things they won't. I have big tires, low gears, and lockers in both ends like they do, so the rocks don't really "know" what's on top. It mostly comes down to wheelbase, line selection, driving ability, and pure luck sometimes. My Blazer is definitely heavier than a lot of Jeeps, but that can't really be helped. Once in a while, I get a little envious when friends are buying the latest cool bolt-on Jeep parts and I have to make everything myself, But I like doing it and I probably would still make stuff if I had a Jeep. And anybody who knows me would tell you I've always been a little "different" anyway, lol.

Old 11-11-2022, 03:32 PM
Starting Member
BlazerDog97S10 is on a distinguished road

Thanks. I expect to be able to do a test soon due to forecasted lows around freezing and a chance of rain/snow mix.
Oh I'll sure be testing things out when I drive to Idaho from Ohio for Thanksgiving >;J

Old 11-11-2022, 03:48 PM
Starting Member

Tom,

Those serious off-roaders look cool, but I like the low profile and how narrow my stock 4x4 97 Blazer is. I've been able to go places guys in lifted/wide Jeeps can't get to because the paths are too narrow or small. I've made my own paths in forests between trees and what not. It's why I like the old stock Wranglers like my grandpa has or Geo Trackers like I have at his place in Idaho that just goes up mountains like nothing. Most I've done to my Blazer for off-road recently is finally collect all the skid plates necessary for him and extended breather vents on the differentials, transfer case and transmission; also putting on some Husky mudflaps. I don't off-road a whole lot, but I know he's capable and it's nice knowing he'll be fine in most scenarios I'll ever encounter. If I need to climb rocks or get around obstacles, I just take my dog and rifle and scout ahead and look for a path. Or send the drone up for some of that AERIAL footage.

Old 11-11-2022, 04:05 PM
Starting Member

Time for a hot clutch job >;J

Once again got everything out with no special tools.

Replacing the flywheel, pressure plate, friction disc, slave cylinder, transmission seals, transfer case seals and u-joint on the front drive shaft. Gotta get him ready for the drive to Idaho in a couple weeks.

Last edited by BlazerDog97S10; 11-11-2022 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-11-2022, 10:23 PM
Beginning Member
Rodney gullion is on a distinguished road
Default 2002 2wd 2dr

Originally Posted by hotrod413
I took the front dash speaker grills off, and cleaned them, cleaned the radio surround, and cleaned the steering wheel. I cant afford a new one so this one has to do for now

here is a before pic of the steering wheel. got too dark for an after. Its hard to see but there is grease and dirt all over it. NEVER let a friend borrow your truck UNLESS he wears gloves and/or he is not going to work on anything greasy

Install five and a quarter inch Sony speakers in the dash replace the trim panel around the gauges and installed a Pioneer receiver installed six and a half inch Sony four ways in the doors and a new power window motor and then tomorrow we're going to add this big bad boy in the back

My neighbor said he could not hear his television because of my stereo so I told him to turn the television up and shut the f u c k u p😎

That trim panel that goes around the gauges and Vents and stereo is over $300 and you can't find a used one anywhere

Window goes up window goes down😁

Old 11-11-2022, 10:43 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Rodney gullion

Install five and a quarter inch Sony speakers in the dash replace the trim panel around the gauges and installed a Pioneer receiver installed six and a half inch Sony four ways in the doors and a new power window motor and then tomorrow we're going to add this big bad boy in the back

My neighbor said he could not hear his television because of my stereo so I told him to turn the television up and shut the f u c k u p😎

That trim panel that goes around the gauges and Vents and stereo is over $300 and you can't find a used one anywhere

Window goes up window goes down😁
Damn I bet that Blazer be BUMPIN!

Old 11-12-2022, 04:27 AM
Beginning Member
Default Chevy Blazer

Originally Posted by Perry910
My term of old is 80s and 90s lol.
what do you mean old that's the newest thing I've got in the yard

Old 11-12-2022, 04:31 AM
Beginning Member
Default Chevy Blazer

Originally Posted by Rodney gullion
what do you mean old that's the newest thing I've got in the yard
It just seems like a few years ago when they came out new and I was impressed about the smooth rounded body style away from the old Square S10 so I had to get one and after 20 years now I finally made my last payment and it's all mine

Old 11-14-2022, 07:10 PM
Starting Member

Got the new flywheel, friction disc and pressure plate in. Also replaced input shaft seal on the transfer case.

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?