Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Rmoving load from leaf springs for shackles

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Beginning Member
1998LT is on a distinguished road
Default Rmoving load from leaf springs for shackles

I am installing shackles later on today and I was wondering once you pull the bolts from the leaf spring will it violently sting loose if it is on jackstands? Or do I need to remove load from the rear suspension?

Old 05-20-2011, 01:32 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

You can always use some clamps to keep the leafs together. I hear they are a real pain to get back together once they come apart.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:54 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 1998LT
I am installing shackles later on today and I was wondering once you pull the bolts from the leaf spring will it violently sting loose if it is on jackstands? Or do I need to remove load from the rear suspension?
The springs shouldn't move at all. Make sure that your jackstands are supporting the frame and not the axle. If they're under the axle, then the weight of the truck is still on the springs/rear-end.

Also make sure you have the truck high enough in the air. You've got to jack it up high enough so that the rear suspension can extend all the way down and still have room to add in lift shackles. With the jackstands under the frame, I still had my truck up high enough so there were about 3-4" of space between the tires and the ground

Here's a pic from when I installed mine. After removing the lower bolt, you can see how the spring only shifted up about 1/4"

I have more pics in this thread https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-a...llation-54550/

And there's another really great write-up here https://blazerforum.com/forum/articl...-thread-43925/

Good luck!