General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Shifter linkage cable Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 12:56 PM
Starting Member
Tuna is on a distinguished road

Update:
No go, on the ATF supplied pins. They sent me two of different sizes, but both are too large to insert into the cable end hole. So, I'm back to my, hopefully, temporary fix. ATF said they will refund my purchase, and even emailed me repair instructions. Perhaps they may still have the correct pin. Otherwise, I will wait until I get a new cable, and then consider applying your tips concerning the tension/shear elements.First, I have to replace my driver's side rear view mirror due to distortion/discoloration issue. Trying to determine if I can use the heated mirror replacement from Rock Auto, although my power mirror does not have that feature. Any idea on that?

Old 03-12-2018, 10:41 PM
Starting Member
Hounddawg is on a distinguished road
Default Fixed with a bolt

Like others, I had my shift cable disconnect from the pin on the linkage, mainly due to the pin rusting out. I ground down the pin end, punched it out, drilled the hole a bit larger, tapped it (threaded) and put in a stainless 1/4" bolt (about an inch long) into the hole. Tightened the bolt, with some loctite, replaced the lever, and then slid the linkage end back on, added a washer, and two nuts tightened against each other. Seems to work fine and a lot cheaper than the other solutions I've found. This linkage was obviously poorly engineered. There are far better ways to make this linkage work and last than the way it was done at the factory. Shame on GM! Not a difficult fix, but still a pain in the butt when you have to crawl under the vehicle in sub zero weather. Shearing shouldn't be an issue, as this bolt is heavier than the original pin and because I used stainless, it shouldn't rust in my lifetime.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:00 AM
Firecapt is on a distinguished road

I'm having a similar problem with my '01. Do you think that everything is the same? Thanks for the suggestions!

*Duplicate post. To see the original go to I'm stumped.* - Admin

THREAD CLOSED