General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 03:53 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

Newguy. I have been hearing that also for a long long time...
But logically it just doesn't make a lot of sense. ..
And I know I usually go overboard on a lot of stuff..
But if new tranny fluid is going to damage the internals.
Then perhaps the oil in the engine should not be replaced
Either or the antifreeze for that matter....my thought is this..
Much like an engine if its abused it will fail sooner rather than later
And it seems the ttanny fluid gets changed when there is a sign
Of a problem, not as a regular mantainance pratice...
But of all the tranny I have had... only one actually
Failed...the jimmy's broke only because of a weak sun shell
So I guess a tip to every one.... change the fluids, all of them on a regular
Basis and avoid costly repairs.....
My fingers hurt...

Old 01-06-2014, 05:16 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by okiedoak20
Newguy. I have been hearing that also for a long long time...
But logically it just doesn't make a lot of sense. ..
And I know I usually go overboard on a lot of stuff..
But if new tranny fluid is going to damage the internals.
Then perhaps the oil in the engine should not be replaced
Either or the antifreeze for that matter....my thought is this..
Much like an engine if its abused it will fail sooner rather than later
And it seems the ttanny fluid gets changed when there is a sign
Of a problem, not as a regular mantainance pratice...
But of all the tranny I have had... only one actually
Failed...the jimmy's broke only because of a weak sun shell
So I guess a tip to every one.... change the fluids, all of them on a regular
Basis and avoid costly repairs.....
My fingers hurt...
It is actually known that when the vehicle/tranny has high miles, it is more harmful to get a tranny flush. That is why it is recommended when you have high miles to just change the 5 quarts or whatever in the pan, and change the filter.

I know many people that work an tranny shops and they say this same thing to multiple customers that come in with high mileage trannys that want a full flush.

Low miles, sure, get a tranny flush, but i'd say anything over 150k, I would only do the pan/filter.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:27 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

What happens is that old fluid full of crud is actually helping parts like clutch pack discs stick together. Theres also crap stuck all over the inside of your trans. (if its old fluid) When you put in new fluid which is high detergent it cleans the crud of off everything plugging up small valves and causing disc to slip and burn up. Its ok if its been changed on a regular basis but if its been neglected for 100,000 or more You may be better of not to. I know how well it cleans because when I installed my rebuilt it leaked a bit when I started it and clean my greasy filthy hands like soap.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:01 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by newguy
What happens is that old fluid full of crud is actually helping parts like clutch pack discs stick together. Theres also crap stuck all over the inside of your trans. (if its old fluid) When you put in new fluid which is high detergent it cleans the crud of off everything plugging up small valves and causing disc to slip and burn up. Its ok if its been changed on a regular basis but if its been neglected for 100,000 or more You may be better of not to. I know how well it cleans because when I installed my rebuilt it leaked a bit when I started it and clean my greasy filthy hands like soap.
This as well, well said

Old 01-07-2014, 06:27 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by chris015

i wrecked the blaze last night. ......l
Crap! Glad your alright. Could always be worse .... gotta look at it that way. At least ya didn't get banged up!

+1 on the tranny info above - that's been long known in the mechanic world. Once they get north of 100k of hard miles, it's best to leave the fluid in there. You could change the filter, but don't give it a complete flush. If really high miles - over 200k, I wouldn't even do THAT. If you bought the thing brand new, and do the fluid religiously every 25k ... or 50k with quality synthetic, then there's no worry.

50° drop from yesterday - got up to 56° .... and now it's 6°, windy, and dropping still. Thank God for this coal stoker boiler I just installed in October!! House is 71°.

So far the wifey has put over 5k miles on the Blazer without one problem. That's a first .. but, did alot of work to get to this point though. Well worth it - especially with the temps we've been having ...

Old 01-07-2014, 01:19 PM
BF Veteran

Starting up fine every morning, but because of the extreme cold I have a lot of new creeks a clunks until it gets going a bit

Old 01-07-2014, 04:00 PM
BF Veteran

Clunk was shackle bolts needed tightening. Then I found out my 4wd wasnt working. New actuator under the battery so I bought a new valve for the top of the transfer case. Vacuum lines look good and changing the valve is easier! LOL. Everything else 4wd related seems to be fine

Old 01-07-2014, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Ordered my high steer arm, hardware, machining, ball joints, calipers, pads, and rotors for my d44! There goes another $400 into this swap. I also shipped the knuckle out for machining. Getting close tho just have to get a rear calipers and rotors and I can start the actual swap then it will just be a bunch of small odds and ends to finish everything up. I'm so ready to get this build started!!

Old 01-08-2014, 03:12 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Haven't been on here in a little while.

Since then, I have bedlined my Camaro wheels as well as my spare wheel on my tire rack, new radiator, new hinge pins and bushings for my passenger side door, tinted my taillights (one coat for a bit of a darker appearance, none of that completely blacked out stuff), and am about to put '05 Maxima black leather seats in for driver and passenger.

Other then that, I have plastidipped my cousin's Grand Cherokee wheels and tinted his taillights for him.

I'm trying to post on this forum again. We'll see what happens.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:53 PM
BF Veteran

Started soldering up the second board for the switchbacks that I am building for the jimmy.
I should have this second board finished tomorrow.
Then I can start cutting open the housing and mounting them in there.

Hoping to finish by this weekend to get them installed on the truck.

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?