General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 11:14 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by tibby
Do you know of a DIY guide for this? lol. I need to know the best path from the brushguard to the battery or relay.
lights to the relay, battery to the relay through a 15 amp fuse, ground the lights to the guard or frame, low voltage switch from the relay to the cab & grounded in the cab.
Google it, I'm sure there are diagrams on the relay hookups etc

A relay is meant to handle the high current in a shorter distance. That's so you don't have high current flowing the distances from the lights to the cab & back again. You'll lose power & have many more chances of lighting up more than just your lights or accessories, if you know what I mean.
A relay works on the low votage line (in the cab) telling it to actuate/move to allow the high current power to the accessory you have attached on the output side of it.
It's the same as having a remotely controlled switch that handles the power where all you do is flip a switch.

Last edited by Rottidog; 08-24-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:14 PM
Brian_D will become famous soon enoughBrian_D will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
WHo needs tow trucks i get friends or my parents to pull me home

and i do the same for them
Thats what i did, my g/fs father towed me home hehe.

i would never call a tow truck unless i was in the middle of nowhere

Old 08-24-2011, 11:25 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Rottidog
lights to the relay, battery to the relay through a 15 amp fuse, ground the lights to the guard or frame, low voltage switch from the relay to the cab & grounded in the cab.
Google it, I'm sure there are diagrams on the relay hookups etc

A relay is meant to handle the high current in a shorter distance. That's so you don't have high current flowing the distances from the lights to the cab & back again. You'll lose power & have many more chances of lighting up more than just your lights or accessories, if you know what I mean.
A relay works on the low votage line (in the cab) telling it to actuate/move to allow the high current power to the accessory you have attached on the output side of it.
It's the same as having a remotely controlled switch that handles the power where all you do is flip a switch.
I pmed him a few diagrams

Originally Posted by Brian_D
Thats what i did, my g/fs father towed me home hehe.

i would never call a tow truck unless i was in the middle of nowhere
Same here =P

Old 08-24-2011, 11:29 PM
BF Veteran

Cool John, I thought I had a good quick write up for what a relay does & why. Now a picture is going to say all of that lol.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:31 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Rottidog
Cool John, I thought I had a good quick write up for what a relay does & why. Now a picture is going to say all of that lol.

HAHA sorry

Old 08-24-2011, 11:35 PM
BF Veteran

Yeah yeah but I was the one that said google it.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:26 AM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Ok, thanks to both of you for the help. I should get everything and give it a go Saturday. I'm hoping for the best lol.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:04 AM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

It really isn't difficult... just pay attention to what you're doing and go slow.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:27 AM
litterbug will become famous soon enough

you could have just gotten a pair of KCs. they come with everything needed. but they are like 100 bucks for a pair. but damn are they bright. lol. if you do get those lights from harbor freight i would do the HID conversion on them to make them brighter and i would paint them. i hear the finish comes off and they like to pit right away.

im going to eventually get 4 of them and put them on my roof. i already have 2 KCs on my brush guard. one is cracked so it kinda rattles. i should probably call KC and complain but im too lazy. lol

Old 08-25-2011, 11:28 AM
litterbug will become famous soon enough

sorry double post. but i will just give more info right now. might as well. i routed the wires from where the valance used to be so in through the grill down then down under the radiator then right over to the battery. i have no idea how to delete a post so sorry for the nonsense. lol

Last edited by litterbug; 08-25-2011 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?